Ashen's Wii Laptop ~ Worklog ~

Is that carbon fiber? That is a really sleek lower chassis you got there. Why are you going with devolution and nintendont as opposed to dios mios? Dios mios seem to have higher compatibility than nintendont, and less hoops to jump through than Devolution

Thanks! Yes its a carbon fiber vinyl wrap made for vehicles. :D

Pretty sure Nintendont has surpassed dios mios as far as compatibility goes. Plus its constantly being updated/improved.

http://wiki.gbatemp.net/wiki/Nintendont ... ility_List

Devolution is pretty much perfection. Not sure why everyone gets their knickers in a bunch over the one time disc verification. Unless of course you're a pirate. Then you can just use Nintendont.

Lots of progress since the last update! Got pretty much everything I needed to done with the screen and sensor bar and got them all installed to the base of the unit.

Wanted to show that the converter board is actually upscaling the image a bit, its running @ 1280x768 resolution:

And with the top cover installed:

So close.

Wow everything looks super slick. Love the carbon fiber, that picture of nsmb works map looks good upscaled.

That looks just fantastic Ashen! It's gonna be a real treat to see it finished.

Here's a completed photo of mine. I may add decals or something just to liven up the appearance a bit. Unfortunately, I couldn't find the space for batteries due to my insistence on keeping the optical drive. I will more than likely make an external pack for it later though.

The converter I'm using up scales the picture to 1360 x 768. Does the screen you're using not support 1360 by chance? Wii games look amazing, but Gamecube Games look a little rough at that resolution. It's odd too because the converter does a great job at up scaling Gamecube games when used with an actual cube/component cable combo. All in all, these converters are neat. It's given me the idea of maybe making an "HD" Gamcube or something. :lol:

Wow! that looks great man! Nice work. I wouldn't sweat the batteries to much, I'm only getting around 2 hrs playtime from my 14.8v 5000mah pack. Apparently these screens really suck the juice. :D

The screen I'm using actually supports 1440x900 resolution. I think the converter board I have here is just a bit older than the one you have. I actually ended up bumping the resolution down from what it was to get things looking good in both GC and Wii mode. I think the image I'm getting now is great:

Of course, it looks way better in person. But you get the idea.

Here's a few shots of some GC games in normal 4::3: "stretched mode" and then in forced widescreen in Nintendont:

You can see, forced widescreen in Nintendont looks WAY better than just the 4::3: image stretched to fit.

The Gamecube games look absolutely stunning in forced wide screen mode! WOW. I'm embarrassed to admit that I neglected to try that out myself. :oops: I'll be sure to do so soon. ;)

Wii games look stunning as expected. May I ask what resolution you're currently using? Is it 1280x768 still?

Only two hours on 14.8v 5000 mah batteries? Whoa that screen is power hungry... Mine would probably be no different seeing as the back-lighting system is the same.

I believe your converter is a bit older actually. For one, my menu looks completely different. It's text only, no graphics. Also, yours appears to be dated 2/2012 and mine is dated 3/2014.

Thank you for the complement! It was a lot of work and I went through a few motherboards. Two that mysteriously died and Two that had odd issues with their SD card slots. :mad: All in all, it was worth it. :lol:

Here's a quick video I made for it.

Very impressive, both to Ashen and RedmagnusX.

Ashen, mine will have about the same capacity as yours, but run off of a 7" screen. How much more battery life should I expect?

Also, I haven't tested nintendont yet, but I was told that it has problems with long load times, but that was a few months ago. Is this no longer an issue?

Back