Any Advice Upgrading the Ram on my laptop?

Im upgrading the Ram on my laptop. It is a Dell Latitude E6410. I ordered 2x4gigs of Ram and now im just waiting for it to come in.I know that laptop ram is a bit harder to upgrade than a desktop (where you just have to pop it in) And i was wondering if anybody had some advice,tips or a tutorial on replacing my current Ram? Thanks in advance.
-arenaslicer

Notes: I did order right ram for my laptop,and i should have the right tools to open it up.

You would be hard pressed to find a laptop that is easier to upgrade. Remove the screw in the middle of the bottom plate and slide it off. You now have access to the ram (and just about everything else). Any ram replacement video on YouTube should be able to guide you the rest of the way.

Recently had upgraded mine and bought the wrong memory. Try to contact the support and find out the one suites your laptop.

Right now is a really flaxty time to buy memory, just sayin'. Prices are through the roof.

XCVG said:
Right now is a really flaxty time to buy memory, just sayin'. Prices are through the roof.
Yeah, I was noticing that yesterday. Looking at building a second desktop, and the RAM I normally buy (G.Skill Ripjaws) is up by like 50%. Tis odd. I'm sure there's a market reason, but I can't be arsed to figure out what the Heck it is.

I bought the memory and installed it.
Unfortunately i realized that windows 7 x86 only supports 3.2 gb of ram.
So my options are to use a patch (Kinda Risky) that will allow windows to use more than what microsoft has allowed the 32 bit version.
Or buy the 64 bit version for $100.

Actually, there's a third option here... but I'm gonna let someone else say it.

Re: Re: Any Advice Upgrading the Ram on my laptop?

XCVG said:
Is it Linux?

You don't need to pirate it, you can use the same license on multiple SKUs(Can't think of a better term)of windows, which includes 32 bit and 64 bit copies of the same SKU.
I don't remember the specifics, but I think for example a win7 home premium key would work on home basic, etc.
If they key doesn't work when you reinstall windows though, just do it like you would any other time you reinstall and run into issues because that's all you're doing.
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/wind ... 7feb7d1915

Re: Re: Any Advice Upgrading the Ram on my laptop?

AbyssPWNS said:
XCVG said:
Is it Linux?

Linux would be the fourth option, Hackintoshing the fifth.

Jesus Christ I didn't even catch that. Which I suppose would be acceptable, except we had it running on a machine in the computer lab at my school for 6 months. I set that flax up, Dangit all. I feel dumb now.

Just remember, if you ever need to reinstall windows, there's nothing stopping you from installing x64.

There is another option as well, although upgrading to 64 bit is a considerably better option IMHO.

You can install DataRAM ramdisk and set your RAM to partition into a separate 1 gig (I am presuming you total 4 gigs, cant remember if it's 4 or 8) drive, so you then have 3 gigs of RAM and 1 gig as a RAM drive.

What to do with a 1 gig RAMdrive? setup temp files and etc to goto the ramdrive. the theory is that your computer will run faster as temp files wont have to be accessed from a hard drive, and that will also reduce wear on the hard drive. I had mixed success with it on my pc tho.

64bit FTW

Back