Analog stick replacement problem

watsug

A few days ago I got my clone controller from ebay.
Like this one
140.jpg

(found here http://www.ebay.com/itm/Game-Contro...t=Video_Games_Accessories&hash=item35bb26b71e)

I opened it a saw that it used potentiometers. I had a analog from a USB gamepad and soldered it on using bentomo´s guide. It didn't work :( . The cursor in mario64 could only move slowly to the left. I measured the resistance of my analog stick and the one that came with the controller and found out that my USB analog was 10kΩ and the N64 one was 50-60kΩ.
I also tried with a PS1, Gamecube and some wierd starwars plug'n'play game. The PS1 and starwars games analogs were 10kΩ so they didn't work. When I tried my original gamecube C-stick, Mario was moving :D , but only at about half speed :( . My gamecube pot were 30kΩ.

So my question is, are there any known and good analog sticks that uses 50 or 60kΩ pots? Or can I somehow use the sticks I already have?

Thanks for reading

Crazy Inventor said:
Are you sure it's not official because I know that the replacement doesn't work with first-party controllers.
Yep, im pretty sure. The controller doesn't have Nintendo printed anywhere and the pcb says its manufactured in 2003.

Here is a picture of the stick with the pot. I really want to use another analog stick since this one is crap (it feels like its five years old already) so if anyone has any idea whatsoever what i can do please tell me.
pic_0012_198618153.jpg

I don't know what type that is. But that's because I've never seen a photo-diode(?) analog stick. If you have an official controller, taje that apart abd see what the stick looks like. If they're the same, theb a different 3rd party controller.

There's no way that's pot-based. It has a ball in the center, rather than a stick.

ProgMetalMan said:
There's no way that's pot-based. It has a ball in the center, rather than a stick.
WTF are you talking about? There is clearly a pot on the side of that analog.

You for sure have a controller that uses a pot-based analog. I'm not sure how you can make it work with other sticks, maybe the right resistor on one of the lines.

vskid3 said:
I'm not sure how you can make it work with other sticks, maybe the right resistor on one of the lines.
I tried to wire a 40k resistor on one of the outer pins. I measured with my multimeter again and the total resistance was around 50k ohm, but when i moved the stick the value still just changed 10kohms. I haven't tried it with the controller though. Maybe I wired it wrong. Wiringsuggestion anyone?

I also read somewhere that some third party Gamecube controllers use 50k potentiometers. If anyone can confirm that and maybe suggest a brand or a controller that might work, it would be great :) .

I checked ebay real quick and saw that they sell 50k pots for 0.99 USD, so if nothing else work I might try that...

Throwing resistors inline to raise impedence will get you nowhere unfortunately because the controller reads an initial impedence when it's turned on and uses that as the baseline. Just measures change. Most other third party N64 controllers use 10k pots if you have trouble still.

Thanks for all the help everyone.
It seems like I just have to use the original stick. :(
I will continue my search for a 50k stick, but I don't think I will find one anytime soon
Thanks again for the help

Joeyjoe9876 said:
http://parts.digikey.com/1/parts/1321086-pot-joystick-50k-ohm-252a503a60na.html
Thats nice, now I at least know they exist, its just that I would have to order one thousand of them.

Back