Analog Modular Synthesizer

gman

Here's a project I've been working on for the past few months. It's been the biggest and most challenging project I've worked on. It's an analog modular synthesizer. A modular synthesizer is the most powerful tool for creating sound. There are a total of 31 knobs and 49 jacks which gives you power to control essentially every aspect of sound, for example, pitch, volume, and harmonics.
It includes:
2x Voltage Controlled Oscillators (VCO)
1x Voltage Controlled Low-Pass Filter (VCF)
2x Voltage Controlled Amplifiers (VCA)
1x Low Fequency Oscillator (LFO)
2x Envelope Generators (EG)
1x Mixer

I found the schematics online and sourced the components and hand soldered each one on perf board. I wish I logged the hours I put into this because it's definitely an absurd amount, much more than I ever spent on a portable console probably. I 3D printed the knobs and used a label maker for all the labels. The filter doesn't have labels because I used the label maker at my school but I just graduated and don't have access to it anymore :(. It's been a fun project to build and I learned so much more about reading schematics and electronics. Some of the circuits I constructed were 2 pages of schematics! I will definitely be making another one in the future.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NS32ZuSi2T8

Oh man, that's cool. I want to build one, but I know I'd never actually get done, and I'd never actually use it... but... awesome job, dude.

Vidja?

Next project: get on the level of synthezisers.com:

iCVgb.jpg

soiuJbWl.jpg

No but really, I love this. I've been wanting to learn about synthesis, and I've found that the digital versions on chiptune trackers are Dang impossible to use. Any video of use or discussion of how it works?

What. Is. That. That's a lot of dedication, and great work on the look and layout. It's all professional-looking from here.

ProgMetalMan said:
Next project: get on the level of synthezisers.com:
That's the plan!

Blargaman91 said:
What. Is. That. That's a lot of dedication, and great work on the look and layout. It's all professional-looking from here.
It's a sound synthesizer. It's mainly used as an instrument to create strange noises but can also mimic acoustic sounds too. I think of it as a tool for creating sound because the frequency level can go below and above the audible range which makes it the most powerful tool/instrument.

Learning about synthesis is complicated at first but once you actually have a modular synthesizer in front of you it isn't too bad. Basically the VCO is the heart of the sound, it is the only part that actually creates sound, the other modules just modify the sound. The filter has a cutoff frequency that you can set which basically limits the harmonics that you hear. The VCA controls the volume but you can also control it with a voltage so you can modify the volume automatically using an envelope generator or an LFO to determine the intensity of the volume. You can control the path of the sound by using patch cables and patching them through the modules in a different order. A basic patch would be like this, VCO to filter to VCA to Mixer to the Amplifier. And then you can control the pitch of the VCO using a keyboard or something. Maybe I'll make a simple demonstration video of it.

That sounds awesome. The first thing I thought of was making music for your own videogame romhacks and stuff.

Back