An Original (hopefully) Gamecube Mod

rebreok

Enter the GCScreen. (title pending)

GCSconcept_zpsf5b10f5a.jpg

A design that I hope is somewhat original, as (in my opinion) the handheld portable is somewhat overdone.

.....though I'll probably take a crack at one of those next. :lol:

Also this is a first attempt for many things: a console mod, portablizing something, making an original case, and others. But that's not why you're reading.

Components:

WiiKey Fusion (replaces disk drive with SD card)
Gamecube revision C motherboard
4 Wavebird controller receivers (optional)
Cellular phone speakers
10-inch (I hope?) LCD screen
Lithium-ion batteries
Some kind of custom-made case

Features/Capabilities:

Will play all Nintendo console games up to Gamecube
Optional AV out to play on larger screen/speakers
Minimum 1 hour battery life, rechargeable
Built-in Wavebird connectivity
1 custom-made Wavebird controller

That's about all I can confirm right now. I have already begun prepwork on my mobo and working on pinouts, and am now shopping around for an LCD and a pair of portable speakers I can cannibalize.

7/27/13

After an hour and a half Carefully trying not to strip screws or lose any parts, I finally pulled this beautiful thing out of my brothers 2009 Macbook:

Screen_01_zpsd8bddb99.jpg

It's a 13.3 inch, LED backlit piece of awesome. it also has a near 16:9 aspect ratio, which I like very much. And, after a bit of shopping, I decided that I will be running it off of this controller board.

This project now has a real name as well. From this point forward, it is

*dramatic pause*

Project Abraham.

I think I have decided on the battery stuff I'm going to be using, and as you read this I am working on the proper, final wiring diagram, the one that includes all the stuff about the things.

My next step is to finally order and test out a WKF. Wish me luck!!

rebreok said:
Built-in Wavebird connectivity
1 custom-made Wavebird controller

Good, I was going to point out your design wouldn't be wavebird friendly. :p
I think someone was commissioned something similar but with an N64. I'm interested to see how this turns out!

Instead of or in addition to the feet in the front, a kickstand of some sort on the back would be useful. Seems like tilting it back would be usable on more surfaces than standing straight up. To see what I mean, set a laptop on the kind of table you would play it on and try it with the screen vertical and tilted back.
Other than that, looks like a fun project, good luck!

I like it. ;)
My only remark is that maybe putting the 4 controllers in the front is not the better option as wires may disturb the screen's visibility (and you ll be able to put some screen controls in the front then). But anyway this is just some details.

Will you keep the motherboard untrimmed ?

Well if there's not really a better place to put them... :lol:

And probably, really it's determined by how much space I have, which is determined by what kind of screen I end up getting, and so forth... So we'll see.

I considered a breakout box, but I want this to be one single, sleek, self-contained unit.

Also (I guess?) I'm "bumping" this post because small update? I still can't figure out this whole forum thing. :neutral2:

rebreok said:
Also (I guess?) I'm "bumping" this post because small update? I still can't figure out this whole forum thing. :neutral2:
The easiest way for others to follow is to post updates as a new post and maybe just have a list of what's been done in your first post. Ashen has great worklogs, I would look through a few to get an idea of what is good/the norm. You don't really even have to do a worklog, but its cool to see the progress of a project and it also gives you a place to ask for advice without having to go back over what you've done.

They said it could not be done.

My fully wired prototype proves that they were lying.

IMG_5530_zps5c4889d9.jpg

I spent a lot of time on my blog post of this, and can't really think of a way to convert it to Modretroism, so I'm just going to say go there. (link in the signature) another update coming soon about the CAD of it.

So this is the GcScreen? Are you going to put the stand up nubs on the back or the front, because I remember there was some discussion about it.

You should just leave it on those helping hands indefinitely. It's sexy.

So this is the GcScreen? Are you going to put the stand up nubs on the back or the front, because I remember there was some discussion about it.

The "GcScreen" is now called Project Abraham. I'm not sure about how the stand will look, I'm going to finish the CAD models and work from there. But yes, they will likely be in the back, or to whatever to the purpose of tilting it back.

Haha. Yeah, perhaps at some point I'll make something with a transparent case. It is a definite goal of mine.

Haha. Yeah, perhaps at some point I'll make something with a transparent case. It is a definite goal of mine.[/quote]

If you are going to make one in a transparent case I would love to see it with lcd lights lining the inside of it so it glows when turned on. That would be pretty sweet.

Okey-dokey, mini update here.

I have a wiring diagram:

Screenshot2013-10-20at90657PM_zps13132190.png

Right now I think this is correct, but I have just moments ago received distressing news, and quite frankly I want someone to blame. Is it true that an SD Gecko can only be used for homebrew things? if an SD card is compatible with a memory card slot at all, then it should be able to hold GC save data just like a normal card, right? Somebody haaalp :cry:

Secondly, once I get my gottar-dingetted paypal account working, I'll be ordering my battery setup and a new Wiikey. Sadly, I over estimated my soldering ability, or at least the fineness of my soldering irons. Boohoo.

As I keep promising, the CAD models will come, and soon. My entire schedule/academic career/life imploded this week, so there's not much time to do fun things. However, my Lovely Assistant is working diligently to bring kinda-accurate models to an internet near YOU.

-K

Unfortunately, yeah, an SD Gecko wired directly to the motherboard won't function as a normal memory card. The GameCube will say "the device inserted is incompatible", kind of like when you plug in a GC microphone or other accessories. I think that's because the GameCube doesn't use a FAT32 format or any other standard computer format and the hardware's also just a little different. I have heard there are homebrew apps, though, that can make your SD Gecko function as a real memory card, but I couldn't direct you to anything specifically... I put "directly" in italics because I know Nintendo made a memory card to SD adapter for animal crossing, but it was only released in japan, so not something easy to get. It may not work as a direct adapter anyway.

Well Dang. Thanks, I guess. I probably should have researched this more before tearing my memory card slots off my mobo.

To the junkyard~

Back