A noob need your help!

Nyume

Hi everybody :p
My name is Timothée i'm 16 years old i'm french :dah:
Around two years ago i discovered a gamecube portable video on youtube, i didn't think it was possible and i was dreaming about it :awesome:
Last week i was wondering if i can create . And I find your Forum ! (there is no french modding forum ::3: )

So, i'm looking for a tutorial or someone very kind to teach me how to realize this!
First i wanted to know how much will it cost ? (i wish not more than 150 € :ninj: )
And if i need something like a soldering iron to create this Gcp. (because i only have screwdriver,, hammer..)
And also , what i need to realize this project.

Thank you for your help and sorry for english faults ;)

Definitely need a soldering iron. A Dremel is nice but you don't really need one. A decent set of files is necessary.

For 150 Euros, you might be able to do it. Depends how good you are at getting deals on stuff. If you're like me and can never get anything cheap, forget it.

Oh sorry!
It's written:
" In the kit there Is :
A soldering Iron 25 W
A desoldering pump
An Holder for the soldering Iron
Tube welding "

It's probably crap quality, but it should do to start with. The desoldering pump is important too, I can't believe I forgot that.

Aha, ok :o !

I talked to my project to one of my friend and we are both going to do this :)
His grand father has a soldering iron, multimeter and a lot of good tools :awesome: So i don't need to buy this :p
We have thinking of doing something like a "TV Gamecube" . So not really a game cube portable but a little screen + gamecube inside and we can put the controller directly in .
Like that we don't have to disassemble a GC controller and it's more easy to do.

But I was wondering, is what one of you has already done as a first project of modding a Gcp? Because I was wondering if with no knowledge I could do it :sweat:
And also, where have you all learned to do that ? By yourself ::3: ? (or yourselves i don't no the right word ..)

I suggest you build an audio amp first. It's a pretty simple circuit and is great to get you started. If you need any help just post!

- mymixed

EDIT: :eek: NEGATIVE 8 KARMA.

The project started! My friend began to disassemble his gamecube to watch components. We want to make as little manipulation as possible. For our first test we dont want something as complicated and developed a SS Gcp's :awesome:

I have a question mymixed:
If I buy a screen that has already loudspeakers, did I really need to build an audio amplifier?

And I have other questions from my friend:
1) How do we do for the cooler ?
2) Where can we found a cheap screen around 5 inches ? (with red, white and yellow wire)
3) For the batteries, if I want 3 hours of autonomy, How many should I take (from 14.8 V not?) and how to mount them in series? (To load them all together)

Thank you in advance ;)

You don't need an audio amp if you have a screen with speakers.

1) Heatsinks, you mean? I don't know much about the GC, sorry.
2) Look for a PSone screen. You can sometimes get them cheap, and it's the only one I can think of that fits your requirements.
3) Four lithium cells in series, positive to negative will get you 14.8V. You'll need a 4-cell protection circuit as well.

Hello, I am Nyume's friend. I have completely unassembled the GC. The mobo is in one piece, no regulator board :D What he meant by cooler (excuse his english) is, the heat sink yes but also, when the case is built, do we have to leave holes for air to escape?

Could you please explain this as well?
"Four lithium cells in series, positive to negative will get you 14.8V. You'll need a 4-cell protection circuit as well."

"You'll need a 4-cell protection circuit as well." I don't get this actually, I understand the rest though.

We've found ourselves a screen as well ;a car monitor with the standard composite cable entries. Is it possible, to make the modding easier, shorten the GC composite cable? Like, cut it than solder the two parts together?
Also, do we have to dismount the monitor from its original case or can we keep it inside?

Really appreciate any help.

Nyume: You do need an audio amp. If you were to connect the console to the speakers without an amp, even with the loudest speakers, would not be decent. Some speakers have audio amps build it and you can use those (like computer speakers).

Chiefzelda: The Protection circuit is to protect the lithium battery's from undercharging and overcharging. If this happens, or the cross, you will see smoke and then fire. The protection circuit protects them from this. Also, you can shorten the GC's video wires:
c2ry8.jpg

Once you remove that resistor, you need to connect a potentiometer to it's leads:
c3na8.jpg

(From Tshay/Robm/Kasar/ShockSlayer's GCp guide)

You can also keep it inside it's original case, but it's thick and a waste of space. Is the screen 3.5" from ebay? Do you have a link?

- mymixed

I've NEVER seen a board with a resistor inside one of those, but it might be a PAL-only thing. I don't see why you would need a potentiometer. You could probably use the board as-is. Don't shorten the cable, just wire to the board. If it's necessary, you can add the board in. It only connects to the video line.
multiavsmall2.png

That screen will work, but it is a bit small. It's also 16:9 widescreen, which means it will stretch the image. It has no audio, either.

I see what you mean, maybe I wasn't clear. What I want to do, is connect the GC composite cable to the orignial connector (just like with a regular, unmodded GC) and hook it up to the screen. That is why I wanted to shorten the cable to save space. I don't think I will have the proper skills to wire it to the board like you showed.I want to cut the cable and solder the two parts together, and then hook it to the board and screen just like you would with an unmodded GC. My GC is NTSC just to let you'll know.

The screen is a bit small, I agree, but it is fairly cheap (we don't have a huge budget). The image would be stretched, would it be stretched a lot? I don't see why we can't play a GC game on a widescreen TV...
If it doesn't have audio ouput, how can we make audio amps+speakers? Is there a guide on forums.modretro?

Also, how are we supposed to make that protection circuit for the batteries? Are these batteries good? http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewitem ... 0538688274

So what are we supposed to do for the cooling method?

Thanks again

Here's a link to making the regulator:
http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b64/H ... gram-2.png
Right in the middle is the regulator. The pot is for getting the right voltage so the image on the screen isn't too dim. It's explained more in the guide I showed you. XCVG: Thats for N64, they are making a GCp. That screen is 16:9 but it doesn't look too bad. The new screen is 7". Thats pretty big. Those battery's should work but they are low amperage and you need a protection circuit. Look for some at http://batteryspace.com. Here's my audio amp circuit with a pot:
5344068327_95bb39ff8c_b.jpg

Also, for the best sound quality, remove the cap from pins 1 and 8 and use it to replace it between 7 and 4.

- mymixed

Thanks for the diagram, but it is for N64, is it the same for GC? I don't have a regulator board so how am I supposed to wire everything for a GC without a regulator board, to connect the audio video cables, and the protection circuit for the batteries to the mobo? Is it possible to have a diagram please?
My GC is NTSC. Thanks a lot for the speaker diagram. Very clear and helpful.

Thanks in advance

Why would you need a PTH08080 for a GCp?

Anyway, the AV port is the same for SNES, N64, and GameCube. An NTSC doesn't need the resistors or capacitor- just connect the spot labeled V (yellow) to the video input of your screen. You will also have to connect ground.

That audio amp will work, but is mono. This one is a little more complex but is stereo. You could also rip the amp out of something else.

As for batteries, those will work. You may want a 4x2 series-parallel arrangement, since the capacity is not that good.

You mentioned shortening the cables and leaving stuff cased. If you aren't willing to tear flax apart and solder to it, you might as well give up right now. There's a cardboard GCp "Hobo Edition" in the GC/PS2/XBOX section. You don't want to end up with something like that.

Back