a good first project.

Hey guys, I think that all this stuff is really cool and what not, but I really dont know how to start. Anyone can just go into google and learn how to do stuff, but the question is what do? What would be a simple project that I could try in order to get my feet wet in this kind of stuff?

I started out doing basic wiring jobs, a splice here, a joint there. My first "big" project was a mod for a Sega Genesis, that put standard av jacks on the back. Eventually, you will really get the hang of soldering, a basic skill for most of the projects here. Then, once you think you got that down, start cutting things up, like maybe find an old set of computer speakers, and see how much you can cut the amplifier before it doesn't work for you. Then fix it. Next, start playing around with modeling, and case building. Chances are, you would end up doing frankencasing, so do things that help you with that. Find an xbox, and fill in the ridges, polish it down, and give it a cool paint coat, or maybe do the same to pretty much any older console. If you can make that look good, you will become a frankencasing GOD.

Any of these could be a good first project, depending on what you want to focus on.

For a first portable you could do a NES or and Atari. Mario has made an excellent guide on google.
look up "how to make a portable gaming system"

i would say actual mods require SOME skill.

for basic basic stuff, try circuit bending.

you dont really have to be good at it, but it just gets good practice at opening electronics, soldering, panel mounting, and you eventually get to know alot of basic stuff (such as why you should not bridge the power source with any main components)(lol, did that a couple times before i figured stuff out :p), and you can do it with old flaxty kids toys too!

when you start to get ok at that, you can start like putting pro sounds on gbcs, and then overclocking, and then more and more and more until you are just ausome

MODDEDbyME said:
For a first portable you could do a NES or and Atari. Mario has made an excellent guide on google.
look up "how to make a portable gaming system"
when the time comes, I could try and do a nes, Ive never owned an atari really. Hey guys is there any great sites to get supplies from besides Ebay? I just got a tool kit that opens up pretty much every thing you can think of, but it won't be here for like a few more days, so i gotta wait on the GBA.

you could always try amazon. depending on what your looking for there are websites like stoneagegamer.com and gamersRus.com etc.
JUST GOOGLE IT! :)

-noobinator

Back