What should I use for sanding?

I'm going to be modifying a ZN-40 project enclosure to make a case for a SNES portable. What's the best way to sand it down once some Bondo and/or ABS cement is applied? I would assume using a very large, high-power sander isn't a good idea? What kind should I use?

Use a small-ish palm sander. A belt sander would be too robust, but a palm sander won't take away too much material at once. Personally, I use an electric sander to take down the majority of the material, and then I wet sand until it's smooth as glass.

I've only ever just used regular old sandpaper. Start with medium grit and work your way down to wet sanding with the very fine grit. If you use epoxy putty for doing the usual ZN-40 modification, get your fingers wet as you apply the stuff to the case. It's waterproof anyway and keeps it from sticking to your fingers. Try your best to shape it as much as you can and get it as smooth as possible with your wet fingers. This will save you from a LOT of sanding later. That stuff sands fairly easily, but MAN does it get the ultra fine dust everywhere.

Back