VGA mod for the Gamecube

Tchay

Frequent Poster
This explains most of it:
http://www.geocities.co.jp/Technopolis- ... crgb_e.htm

I used that guide and did it myself with no trouble. Including taking it apart, the whole process took about 15 minutes.

What you need:

Gamecube component cable (they are rare) - Instead of red, yellow, and white at the ends of the cable, you will have red, blue, and green. The plug is also huge (since it has a lil chip crammed inside)

10k resistor - 1/8W is ideal. I am using a 1/4W and it seems to be working fine

6 wires
- ground
- red
- green
- blue
- H sync (horizontal sync)
- V sync (vertical sync)

Opening up the plug on the component cable is kind of a pain. It has a metal framing on the inside that is really stubborn. Just dont break the chip or any caps! The link I showed has pics on all of that.

VGAmod001.jpg

Here you can see my red, blue, and green. Then I labeled my H and V sync wires.

VGAmod002.jpg

So here is where the 10K resistor is used. Note that you have to disconnect that pin from its via point on the board. That pin will only touch the resistor and the resistor connects to the via point. The white wire is H-sync and the blue wire is V-sync. If you get it backwards you will have no signal.

Cost:
You will have to buy a component cable, and a VGA accepting screen. So, if you know where to look, you can get the cable for 50 bucks. The VGA accepting screen depends on the size. If its 5" then the best you can do is 80 bucks.

So thats $130 for this mod. VGA looks beautiful. So it was worth it for me since I work a lot and have a lot of money saved up.

I seem to recall that there are barely any PnT around north america.
Where the Heck do people find these cables?

Holy *Can'tSayThisOnTV*ing jesus that's a hairy leg.

I may get another Game Cube and do a VGA mod to it. I'll definitely know where to go when I want to do it though,

Oh yeah but they are not the official nintendo ones, though there are many brands available, madcatz ... Etc

those wii rgb/component cables normally go for at least 60 dollars online, they're super rare.

Anyway i sold for about 1000€ on that site and bought many things, it's great because you can't get fluxed like on ebay, you can always get your money back if there's a problem, and the administrators are quick to answer.. If you want to get something from that site just ask me if you need help with the language..
Just browse a bit you'll find that some thins are real cheap, especially old systems and games.. You can get a cube for 3€ there, and if ever it doesn't work, you'll get your money back in a flash

I guess I should clear some things up.

A European SCART RGB cable will do you no good in North America. It will only work with a PAL GameCube. In this sense, we kind of got screwed. They get native RGB, we have to mod an expensive cable. But hey, they didn't get s-video.

You need a component cable or a d-terminal cable. Both plug in to the Digital AV port, but the d-terminal cable was only availible in Japan where they have d-terminal TVs. However, it is usually cheaper on eBay.

If it's not in progressive scan mode, the GameCube will output RGB through the modded cable. I'm pretty sure that site mentions it.

EDIT: http://www.geocities.co.jp/Technopolis- ... ouse_e.htm

ok so i found a ntsc OFFICIAL nintendo rgb cable for you american guys for aroud 35$ + shipping
I found a PAL one for 15$ (this low because i know the guy, not because it's crap) should i go for it? is this mod whorth it?
also since you can use rgb gamecube cables on the snes and etc, does that mean you can vga mod the snes?

Back