Stuntpenguin007's N64 portable WIP

6/22/11
I got the expansion pack relocated. I'm surprised that it actually worked. It took me about 3 - 4 hours total to do. The last half hour was mostly troubleshooting and looking for shorts.

I also got the cartridge slot relocated. I was a little bit scared when it didn't boot at first, but I later found out that the power supply I was using was semi-faulty. It works sometimes and not others. So I used a different power supply and it worked.

progress1.jpg

6/23/11
I found something at a thrift store today that looked like it would work good as a case. It's a little bit bulky, but it seems like it would make a comfortable portable. So I went to work on it. I have the screen area dremeled out so far. I'm going to save the ZN-40 for a different project.

6/24/11
Got the space for the A, B, C-Buttons, and thumbstick cut out. Right now I'm waiting for the ABS cement to dry.

You relocated your expansion pak, but are only using a ZN-40? What a waste! even with the most meager of trims, you can put it in something smaller than that.

What case do you recommend? Keep in mind that I plan on using the PS1 screen. My next portable will have a RAM transplant, RCP wiring, and a 3.5 inch screen. I could also use case suggestions for that. I'm pretty excited about my next portable. I just need to put in the termination resistors and capacitors and I'll have successfully completed a RAM transplant on that mobo.

It's really easy, I am working on one with a built in heating unit out of a toaster oven.

How powerful should the shop vac be? I found one at a thrift store today that says "2.6 peak H.P.".

And a more on topic question... Should I drill out holes for buttons, or should I frankencase the button holes on? What are your guys opinions on the D-Pad and L button? In the games I play, the D-Pad is never used and the only time I really use L is in Super Smash bros. Even then I rarely use it. Maybe I should make a switch that changes the function of the analog stick and Z-button into the D-Pad and L button.

Any shop vac will be fine. Franken casing in your controls makes mounting them much easier.

I bought a couple of these (http://www.acehardware.com/product/index.jsp?productId=1296923&CAWELAID=356642981) at my local ACE and they worked perfect as cart slot mounts. I just cut of the peg with a dremel and drilled a hole through that end. They didn't have any normal L brackets that were small enough, but those did the trick (note: I don't know if those are the exact brackets I used but they are certainly similar. Also, they were cheaper than that from what I remember).

I found some brackets that will work. My ZN-40 case came today. It's way smaller than the one I've been working on, so I'm going to migrate my project over to that. Should I use a screen smaller than the ps1 screen. I think it will get cramped.

I finally got epoxy. Now I just have no clue how to apply it to the case. Should I glob it in the indented edges and then sand it when I'm done?

I thought he was using Bondo which takes longer to dry doesn't it?
And I didn't know how long it took to dry but didn't want him sanding wet or un-cured bondo.

Back