SS's Trashcan Iron Man Armor!

ShockSlayer

Probably SS
In case you couldn't tell by my avatar or my recent lack of general shenanigans, I have decided to embark on my journey of making prop Iron Man armor.

Out of trashcans.

*Can'tSayThisOnTV* yeah.

So I bought some trashcans and some red paint, I already have gold paint due to previous shenanigans. Be it the nature of the beast to make worklogs, I've at least taken pics with my cellphone(which recently gave up the ghost) and now have moved to a crappy video camera.

Well, the first place to start in my opinion is researching the subject. Take notes noobs, this is a good way to start any project worth doing. By doing so, I was able to find some basic templates for the helmet. I also read on some other forums, that if you have a cool helmet, then the rest of the armor is fairly simple in comparison. So I started with that, making a paper helmet. You can see it to the side in this picture, it's certainly a good reference point, plus it helped me get a feel for the size and what I was doing.
1211102215-00.jpg

Anyways, you can also see me in the background with a sheet of acrylic, long story short, it got DESTROYED.

So I bought 3 trashcans. I then promptly traced, cut, and then roughly bent the plastic to get a basic shape.

1217101550-00.jpg

1217101550-01.jpg

And at this point from behind, it kinda looked like that one thing from halflife I think...

1217101550-03.jpg

Moving on...the template only gave the faceplate, the front of the face, and the sides. So I more or less had to come up with my own junk for the rest of the helmet. I tried just bending a flat piece to match the sides, but it was kinda awkward looking and feeling, as seen below:
1217101823-01.jpg

So after messing around with that for awhile, I decided the best course of action would be to lern2rivet and then cut some strips of trashcan and then just stack those. I ran out of rivets after messing up a couple bit, so I just used some screws. Otherwise everything was fitting and I was happy.

1218101836-02.jpg

1218101836-01.jpg

*but why not use hotglue, and then just use rivets and screws for style?*
Because my hotglue gun DIED and then I RAN OUT OF HOTGLUE.

Jesus, I actually went through withdraw, too. The fact that the screws and rivets are there does give it some style, so I like them, helps with the look.

Again, I'm not going for movie accurate here. Some of the best advice I've ever heard came from this one video on youtube by this guy who was showing how to dress up as batman, and he said something along the lines of "You don't have to be detailed and perfect movie accurate, just give the image of 'Hey, that's Batman!' so that people recognize you as the character." That's more or less what I'm aiming for.

My withdraw didn't last long though, because now I had a pretty decent looking plastic formation.

1218101837-00.jpg

Somewhere between these two pics I taped on the circle ear pieces, they are held in place with tape right now, got to work on that and some sort of hinging thing for the faceplate.
And, the source pic for my current avatar:
1219101127-01.jpg

Yeah, that is a duct tape glove(which was practice for later in this build) with some tent spikes conveniently arranged like wolverines claws. Oh, and to the side, you can see some of my PVC attempt to make a chestplate. I was just bored and testing out my accuracy in measuring, cutting and tweaking accurately. Nothing wrong with practice; right? :p

For the past couple of days, I've had the faceplate painted gold(two coats then glossed) and just yesterday I picked up red paint. Last night I painted the chin gold because a part of it is actually gold, so I was going to tape over it and then paint the helmet red. So, earlier this morning I taped the gold off and then painted the rest of the helmet red.

It didn't go too well.

In my opinion, the color red that I bought is not dark enough, I do know that the store I bought from has a darker red, but it seemed too dark at the time. Eh, I'll go pick it up later.

The other annoying problem is that the only paint that I own that is not krylon fusion is the gold spray paint. Soooo, needless to say when I pulled of the painters tape it brought the gold chin paint with it. :dah: So it's messed up pretty bad. I didn't sand that part of the helmet(or for that matter any part) so I'm probably going to do that and then try again...yeah. That sounds good. Anyways, rambling over, pictures now:

IMG_0772.jpg

*This is the crappy video camera picture, by the way.

Trust me on this one, the red looks much brighter in person.

On the left is the action figure I bought to more or less use as a 3d model to do the rest of the armor from. I used it here for a generic comparison of the helmet so you guys can sort of get a grip on how it's coming along.

Comments, criticisms, woship?

SS

Well i'd ramble about the fact that the chin is too narrow, but if you're goal is to be reckonised as iron man, you nailed it :awesome:

Who needs bullies? You shove your OWN HEAD in a trashcan! :D
Also, this is awesome, and when I saw that last picture, I was like "Why is he bothering to build a helmet if he already has one" and then I realized it was an action figure :facepalm:

But yeah, I can't wait to see where the duct tape comes in now... It looks good too, and in case you haven't noticed, I like using duct tape for things like that... [/rambling]

Is that the trashcan in the corner in the first picture? i hoped it would be made of metal ones, but DISAPPOINTMENT. But i'm amazed you got such a cool product with shards of plastic, good work.

No, that's an actual trashcan, for trash. :dah: I bought some larger ones just for this purpose.

You can see one of the other two in the fourth picture if you look through the chin part.

SS

That's pretty neat - you should try using Pepakura.

156946_479998116032_648591032_5875257_4610209_n.jpg

^Size tester for an HD Iron Man helmet^

Also I'm making Jorge's suit from Reach with Pepakura; it works wonders. :p

131.jpg

That looks pretty good, I saw that technique on some other forums somewhere, I'll have to look into actually doing it, might come in handy for some of the parts.

Yep, just involves quite a bit of money in Bondo and Fiberglass Resin to get it sturdy enough to wear and looking good.

Check out the forums at 405th.com for info on that stuff. Looking good still :p

I've used peprakura before, it's not too hard, just use a good glue. I made a Daft Punk Helmet, and it was pretty cheap to make a basic paper model too, but I only used a glue stick, use super glue, or gorilla glue if you do it.

So, I basically redid the helmet's paint:

Paint, Tape, Paint, Remove Tape, Cry, Sand, Paint, Paint, Tape, Paint, Paint, Remove Tape, Squee, Gloss, Gloss, SUCCESS.

Pics...as soon as it dries.

SS

IMG_4451.jpg

Honestly, I took a before and after picture and the red color difference is impossible to see between the two in pictures, but in person this newer red is much much better, it's more of a deeper, darker red color as opposed to the orange-ish red that I had originally... Camera's are silly in this sense, I'll have to do a video and maybe it'll look better.

Aside from that, the ear pieces and the faceplate are taped on in this picture, I've decided to just glue/epoxy the faceplate straight on as opposed to having it slide up and down, seeing as how the plastic bends when you apply pressure, getting a hinge system to work would take forever and it wouldn't work too well. I mean, I have the hinges to do it, but...eh.

Besides, this may be cool:

4508660268_a08380db80_b.jpg

But THIS is cooler:

iron-man-iron-man-donut-300.jpg

SS

Jidan said:
That's pretty neat - you should try using Pepakura.

156946_479998116032_648591032_5875257_4610209_n.jpg

^Size tester for an HD Iron Man helmet^

Also I'm making Jorge's suit from Reach with Pepakura; it works wonders. :p

131.jpg
Pepakura is not THAT expensive. I have a friend who has made quite a bit with it. He and I are both members on 405th (neither of us are noticed. and I do not think I have gotten on that site since I joined it), and he has been making Spartan (Halo) armor for a while. I was going to design anything electronic he may want. I should ask him how this is going

Annnnd, it is looking good so far. Definitely recognizable as Iron Man, but I do agree with one from before, I was hoping for metal trash cans.

Back