SMS Portable using a Playpal?

well, you can buy a nomad with a busted screen on ebay for cheap. They have AV out, so not a problem for if you just wanted to test out sms games on it.

themadhacker said:
well, you can buy a nomad with a busted screen on ebay for cheap. They have AV out, so not a problem for if you just wanted to test out sms games on it.

I might look into it. I'd rather use an actual SMS. Even if it is huge. :awesome:

Huge mobo means bigger screen. :D

Imma shoot my mouth off with a somewhat uninformed idea. Its been a while since I seen the SMS version 1 mobo so bear with me.

Wold it really be overly huge though? Its got less overal hight than the NES and most of the case is empty. Controler/power/av stuff can be relocated more centraly on the mobo by tracing back to the chips and stuff so trimming is a possibility. I seen your comment on that pal SMS2 in the showcase so I know your aware of that. That things only about half a sheet of paper and 2" thick. I think you cold do a original SMS in a reasonable size.

Dunno if you saw it but heres his thread on BH. Link

Taiben said:
Huge mobo means bigger screen. :D
Haha it's an SMS! I didn't think I needed to use a big screen for its 8bit glory. :D

Taiben said:
Wold it really be overly huge though? Its got less overal hight than the NES and most of the case is empty. Controler/power/av stuff can be relocated more centraly on the mobo by tracing back to the chips and stuff so trimming is a possibility. I seen your comment on that pal SMS2 in the showcase so I know your aware of that. That things only about half a sheet of paper and 2" thick. I think you cold do a original SMS in a reasonable size.
I know someone with more experience could definitely do it. The problem with me is that I don't totally know what I'm doing. I can hook up the screen/batteries/system, but relocating and trimming might be a little too difficult for me.

Taiben said:
Dunno if you saw it but heres his thread on BH. Link
I've had that thread bookmarked since the moment I saw it. :lol:

Thanks!

I've got a working nomad. If someone sends me an SMS game, SMS slot, and a lame genesis game you don't mind me tearing apart, I'll see if I can get the SMS game running on the nomad.

actually, bibin, I have done a lot more researching and apparently, the genesis 3, cdx, megajet, and nomad did not have the hardware to support sms games.

Which just means that I will have to cut down my genesis2 more.

icarus said:
The model 1 Genesis is quite large, if thats the only one its possible on... its not really worth it.

The Nomad can run SMS games even, with enough modification. If you get a nomad with a cracked LCD, use the parts inside for a very small genesis.

themadhacker said:
I doubt you could easily find the pins to solder a cartridge slot to. This is the same reason why nobody (to my knowledge) has hacked a cart slot on the c64oac plug in play. Which really sucks too, as I have a c64oac.

I believe you can add a disc drive to it. I will look for more info, I know you can add a keyboard.

Bibin said:
icarus said:
The model 1 Genesis is quite large, if thats the only one its possible on... its not really worth it.

The Nomad can run SMS games even, with enough modification. If you get a nomad with a cracked LCD, use the parts inside for a very small genesis.

Would thhis be smaller than a radica with a cart slot? (Sorry, I've never owned a Nomad.)

Back