Show us your desktop!

ttsgeb said:
I'd like to add that I was running 2.5mp off of Intel integrated, and being able to game. Because of this, I have a hard time believing that you would need dual 780ti setup to run less than 4x the pixels (8mp). The logic just doesn't work. Even if you claim an exponential relationship, it doesn't add up.

I really question this, unless you're either okay with low framerates or low settings. But my only experience with Intel graphics in recent memory is the horrific HD 3000 that I briefly used when my GPU died.

samjc3 said:
XCVG said:
Even a single 4K monitor requires two Titan/780Ti/290X to drive effectively.
I don't believe people who say this. I do a solid 80% of my gaming at 3500x1920 on a single 770 2gb. I can certainly see where I'd want more power and ram to go up to the full 4k, but it seems a single Titan or two 770s would handle it just fine. Course, I don't spend much time worrying about max settings and high AA, but for most of the games I play I run high or better settings with no AA, and source flax all the way up with 16x aa.

As far as people complaining about bezels, I don't really have an issue with them - certainly they're less than ideal, and my new build will be built to minimize them (as opposed to the solid 1" panel gap I currently have), but with proper bezel correction, they're really not a big deal. I find the biggest issue with surround gaming is more the amount of games that simply won't run, or have issues when they run at such a resolution. There's additionally some system instability issues, which is part of why I want to build a dedicated surround rig and make this one a general purpose computer for internets and such and games that need to run on a single display.

If you've got a 4K display, you're going to want to max the quality settings. If you're willing to drop the quality to make it playable, then why bother with a 4K display? I know that if I go from 1080p to 4K and have to drop from ultra to high or even medium (this is what it takes to make some games playable), I consider that a loss. If you step up in resolution and your experience went from buttery-smooth (preferably 60FPS, but I've heard 40+ is good enough) to much less smooth (30FPS mark is generally considered minimum playable, some can deal with 20+ but I can't) I consider that a loss.

I am quite sensitive to flicker and such, though, so low framerates might bother me more than others.

If you want to see numbers, HARDOCP reduces settings until the game is playable, while HEXUS turns the settings up but not all the way up. This Tomshardware article is kind of old, and I think they ran at high but not maxed settings.

I tend to find benchmarks somewhat pessimistic- you can generally push a little more out of a card and still remain subjectively playable versus what the numbers say.

I'm also running a 770, and it can barely push Metro 2033 on Ultra at 1920x1080.

Bezels, no, I know they're not that much of an issue in general, they just bother me personally. Call it a kind of OCD quirk.

samjc3 said:
All that said, what really needs to happen, is AMD or <a href="http://www.nvidia.com/" rel="nofollow" target="_blank" title="Link added by VigLink" class="vglnk"><span>Nvidia</span></a> needs to release a modern card with the port layout from the eyefinity 6 cards - that is, 6 minidisplayports per card. Because then you could run 4 way CFX/SLI with 24 <a href="http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p5197.m570.l1311&_nkw=ipad+3rd+generation&_sacat=See-All-Categories" rel="nofollow" target="_blank" title="Link added by VigLink" class="vglnk"><span>ipad</span></a> displays, 3 tall 8 wide. 16384x4608 wraparound display? Yes please.

I think they should too, but for other reasons. Six DP1.2 outputs with MST would be very useful for digital signage and presentations. 24 iPad displays is awesome, but very impractical for most people, even most enthusiasts.

I got distracted and this post turned into a rambly mess, sorry. :dahroll:

I was able to play through SR2 and SR3 and enjoy myself. That counts for me. It wasn't the most beautiful thing in the world, but it worked well enough for me to beat the game and enjoy the story. Really, the loading times (HDD's fault) and big firefights were the only times when there was any kind of an issue with playability.

BeamNG was Dang near unplayable, though. Lagged like a mother*Can'tSayThisOnTV*er and frame rates in the single digits.

You don't have to be playing the latest game to be playing a game.

All that said, it DID make a huge difference when I finally got a dedicated card.

Should be noted that with a lot of pixels in a small space, you really don't *need* AA. The jaggies get small enough that you hardly even notice them.

I am in it more for immersion than the highest graphical settings. When Oculus (or somebody else) gets a truly playable HMD out (I canne the lag - the Rift is cool but it gives me a brutal headache instantly), I'll switch to that, but for now, multiple panels is as good as it's gonna get. Personally I find the 5 way portrait wraparound to be ideal - I've even considered doing it with catleaps, but I reckon driving 7200x2560 might be rather outside the capabilities of all but the most serious racks of graphics cards, and that's a bit more than I really want to spend - I'm thinking $3000 or so as opposed to $8,000. Whereas, based on the performance I get with my 770, I'd feel perfectly comfortable adding two more 1080p panels for a 5 way and going dual 290x or something. I'd rather do a single card, since SLI/CFX is so driver dependent for actual performance, but nobody builds a card with a normal amount of video outs.

I truly think that 6 mini DP ports should be the standard for cards - it's backwards compatible with the other standards of note (DVI, HDMI) and allows for a larger cooling vent. I just don't see a downside. It should at least be an option on top level cards. Displayport is the flax.

And Geb, don't feel bad - Beam NG runs like flax on my box, even at 1680x1050 off an SSD with not a Dang thing else running and my GPU and CPU overclocked. I still get framedrops down to 30 or so, and stuttering besides.

In somewhat related news, I have begun acquiring parts to hook an ipad3 display to my PC. Though I'm going to have to get creative, because I don't have another available video out - I would just hook my top panel to my mobo video out, but I'm on an intel -K CPU, so my computer is literally incapable of using those video outs.

LattyDesktop02202014

Fresh install of CrunchBang on my laptop.
I like it. It's nice.

Assembled 7/18/2003
So... 10 years, 7 months...
It's a Dell Latitude C640, and interestingly after a check in the BIOS, it has been powered on for less time than the computer I built this year
And I love it dearly. It is the bestest gift ever.

samjc3 said:
I truly think that 6 mini DP ports should be the standard for cards - it's backwards compatible with the other standards of note (DVI, HDMI) and allows for a larger cooling vent. I just don't see a downside. It should at least be an option on top level cards. Displayport is the flax.

There are downsides. If you want to drive dual-link DVI monitors (2560x1440/1600) you need an active adapter, and while they're not as expensive as they used to be, they aren't cheap. Not many monitors actually have DisplayPort, meaning you need an adapter for just about anything and this confuses stupid people. I think DisplayPort is more expensive to implement as well, but it might not be anymore. None of these are enough to outweigh the advantages for me, but the videocard makers see it differently.

With 4K, though, DisplayPort is the only decent way to do it right now and I think the adoption of 4K will bring the adoption of DisplayPort with it. Of course, HDMI 2.0 is on its way so I might be a little optimistic at this point.

0LcH18d.png

Yeah yeah, old OS is old, overdiscussed bullflax is overdiscussed, pretentious wankery is pretentious, overcrowded taskbar is overcrowded, double post is illegal.

Nice to see you finally got a wallpaper that isn't a terrible cellphone shot.

Additionally, even though you pointed it out already, I am obligated to point out, it's 2014 and you are still running XP. Disgusting. I don't understand how one can even have so many things in the tray - I have 5 or some flax, and most are just pc status stuff like IRTSD and MSE. Deluge and Steam are the only two programs that are there reliably.

ProgMetalMan said:
0LcH18d.png

Yeah yeah, old OS is old, overdiscussed bullflax is overdiscussed, pretentious wankery is pretentious, overcrowded taskbar is overcrowded, double post is illegal.

What's the :neutral2: face in your systray?

Got a second monitor for $10 at Goodwill a while back. 1600x900 Samsung LED. Looks pretty Dang good for the price.

I like to keep it clean, personally.

samjc3 said:
Do I detect LCD Soundsystem in your foobar?
Aye. I just started listening to them recently after hearing Daft Punk is Playing at My House.

Back