Ready for an OUYA Portable?

Great suggestion, Ashen. That's a neat screen, and I'll probably cross-post it for someone who asked about a VGA option on OUYABoards.com.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quick update...

I got the Lilliput 5" screen. It's a great device. Very clear. The included headphone jack is great (it'll save me time wiring it up). It will almost be a crime to remove the BNC component connectors on the back, but the built-in HDMI out would give me the option to output to a large screen if desired. Hmmm, perhaps a WiDi option? Also, the device is already primed for both 12v and 7.4v (takes a camcorder battery on back), so I have some great power options there.

I've also decided to use a wired XBox 360 controller (USB) rather than sacrifice the wireless OUYA controller. It will be easier to hack and split, and I won't have to worry about getting 3v to the controller, or waste power transmitting Bluetooth or WiFi one inch.

I've hooked up the components using traditional connections (cables) to ensure they work, and all is good so far.

I also want to comment on how much I liked (and learned from) Ben Heck's three videos on his OUYA portable. He went crazy (in a great way) hacking the Bluetooth module from the controller, using tact switches and hacked pieces from the stock OUYA wireless controller. I like his approach to 3D components in smaller pieces, and I love his use of laser-cut top and bottom pieces, however, I don't care for the "hamburger" look that many of his portable projects take on. Not my taste, but I understand the limits of on-demand manufacturing, and the finished unit work and looks fantastic.

I also got a couple of great ideas for future projects. I picked up a spring-loaded desoldering iron and a bench top variable DC power supply.

Pictures later. My wife has some minor outpatient surgery today, and that takes priority.

Hacker. Designer. Engineer.

Hey man, chomping at the bit to see what you come up with. Part of the reason I insisted on using the OUYA controller rather than using the 360 one is that not all OUYA games are compatible with the 360 controller. Your thoughts? I've gone back and forth with using, not using the OUYA controller.

I'll have the 360 controller later today so I'll let you know if I have any issues with MAME, Clark, Gaurodan, or Soul Fjord.

Here's a quick pick of the 5" screen, OUYA and OUYA controller, before hacking.

7yvezemu.jpg

So far, Gaurudon doesn't work. Allegedly, if you wire in a PS3 controller, it works. I'll have to try, and if so, I'll exchange the wired 360 one for a DualShock.

No luck on wired PS3/DS3 controller. Looks like I still have to hack the OUYA wireless controller.

Sorry it's been so long. Here are some pictures of the components I'll be using.

pe2esusy.jpg

- The monitor is a Lilliput 569GL-50NP. It is a 5" 1080p monitor with HDMI in (and out), a speaker/headphone jack, and front control panels. The YPbPr inputs are included, but not necessary for my needs. It also has a battery slot on the back (with a battery, charger, and different shoes included), and the unit charges when plugged in. Not sure if it will be my final power source or not.
- OUYA (first gen)
- OUYA Controller. Unless someone shows me how to use a compatible, wired controller, we're going to go wireless Bluetooth for the 1/2" gap between the controller board and the OUYA mono.
- Amazon Basics 4-port USB 2.0 hub
- USB SD reader (this one came with my GameCube SD reader kit)
- 32Gb SDHC card

Here are some beauty shots of each...

a5u7yzet.jpg

u4a7e2ap.jpg

5ume3ade.jpg

ejanuha5.jpg

y6ahupeh.jpg

qy5a6y8a.jpg

And here's a few shots of the monitor...

qyzybemu.jpg

hutuvegy.jpg

7ahe4evu.jpg

usetetuz.jpg

a3azagem.jpg

I'll do the tear-down of the monitor first in a few days (I hope).

EDIT - Added two of the same pic.

Just an fyi . The Lilliput 569GL-50NP is NOT a 1080p 5" screen.
It is a 800x480 5" screen that is capable of downconverting a 1080p signal.

Another benefit of this screen is it already has battery charging and managing on it. I can leverage its use of standard, replaceable rechargeable camera batteries to power the whole system. All I'll need is one little $6 Pololu power converter (for the 3v game controller power). The OUYA should be great with the 7.4v of the camera battery. Not sure if the tiny fan I want to use will like it, but it was only $2.

So, first hack job was reducing the size of the USB hub. In addition to the micro USB connector, I need only two USB ports (SD reader & external for expansion). Most hubs have three or four ports, so I went cheap and got an inexpensive Amazon Essentials four port. Once I got the case off, this is what the guts looked like...

pu7uzu6e.jpg

From there, I trimmed off the cord (and mapped the pads for later soldering), and desoldered the USB surface mount ports.

etuzajy9.jpg

From there, I desoldered the caps and LED, and cut off all the area I didn't need...

buhy2yhy.jpg

3ajuvu3u.jpg

Minor problem: while cutting the board, I knocked a TINY surface mount off... (and broke it; think it was an RF filter)

e4yzuzej.jpg

I re-tinned the pads and carefully took one from the cut-away boards and re-soldered it (I hope).

We'll know for certain once I put a temp cable on it and try to access the SD card.

Ah, the joys of hacking...

Oh, I forgot... I ordered replacement 100uF 16v caps in a slightly smaller package so I can lay them flat against the board. more on that later (when they get here).

Couldn't get the filter to reattach, so I connected the leads and hope I won't have to deal with RF issues. I'll attach the SD reader to this port.

a4a7abu8.jpg

Solder connections in upper right, left of the circle silkscreen (capacitor bed).

On my side project of the Game Cube portable, here's a pic of how I addressed the cooling/heat sink issue:

y5u5esy8.jpg

6esebabe.jpg

Yeah, the inside Dremel job is a little fugly, but it does the job. The original GC fan was 3". This one is 1" and super quiet... Only about 3/8" thick and EXCELLENT air flow.

I might do something similar for the OUYA portable.

- Sean

Started piecing together a 3D printer to prototype the case. Using a RepRap style printer board (RAMPS).

3D printer up and running.

8u7ajeqy.jpg

I'll run a test print for the GC portable first. Pics to follow.

Back