Planned Wii U Portable - Wii Z

Blargaman91 said:
I'm sure you've checked all the FFC's but I'm reminding you to because I've had a lot of similar issues take place all because of a bad cable.
Yeah, that was one of my first suspicions as well. I unplugged, cleaned, and re-plugged back in every cable I could (except for the tiny permanently attached ones at the bottom of the LCD), but had no luck. The overheating chips lead me to suspect something is fried and therefore not easily fixable. Even if I could find a new controller board, it's permanently attached to the panel and so I'd be better off just replacing the whole monitor.

At any rate, I'll fiddle around with it some more soon before I give up and buy a new one.

Man that sucks! Instead of buying a new monitor perhaps you can just find a new motherboard for the screen? As in look up the screen's serial number and see if a board is available to just replace. I would think it be a cheaper solution that getting a new screen. But then again sometimes it's just easier to start again from scratch.

It seems that you have a short somewhere. I been in a same situation. I accidentally reversed positive and negative wires on my screen and blew a short. Some chips very burning hot and the other were dead cold. I gave up on my ps2p after that.

TacoSlayer said:
It seems that you have a short somewhere. I been in a same situation. I accidentally reversed positive and negative wires on my screen and blew a short. Some chips very burning hot and the other were dead cold. I gave up on my ps2p after that.

Oh... how encouraging

By the way, to anyone reading, this project has somewhat died for now and so has the thread. Sorry about that. I may revive it at some point once I have the extra cash, but for now I'm focused more on work/college and car repairs. In other news, I have a GCP that I recently finished and need to document... :p

Guess what's baacccckkk? Yes, after a few months of inactivity, I've bought a replacement LCD screen. Not only is the project back on track, but I have LOADS of progress to share since my last update. Here's some of the highlights for those of you just skimming through pictures:

j5i28ogl.jpg

YfP1mKSl.jpg

hHZTPdYl.jpg

rkYk8Vxl.jpg

mqr7l8bl.jpg

jnF2uosl.jpg

Be sure to check out all of the full size pics on my Google Photos album.
https://goo.gl/photos/WbA9YUR7urUEgCRr7

In the past few months I've been refining my design quite a bit. I'm using Inkscape to draw all of the 2D vectors to be laser cut. I've cut out six different revisions so far, each time taking more measurements, making improvements, adding features, and repeating. The one nice thing about frying my last LCD display is that I can use it as a placeholder to take measurements and build prototypes without the worry of damaging it. All of that prototyping has led me to the sixth revision. I've stained the wood and cut out all the parts for what will hopefully be the final product soon.

During the design process I've been making plenty of trips to my local screw supplier and Lowes, drawing sketches, ordering parts to experiment with, etc. I'm wanting to put more work into the digital design side of my projects, and less into the assembly, so I'm really aiming to make all of the parts fit together with tabs or held by screws. This is the complete opposite of how I used to build projects; with very little planning but a whole lot of half-assing and hot glue. If v1.0 turns out well and I can make assembly easy enough, I want to eventually sell them, either as fully assembled units or perhaps as kits for people who don't have fancy laser cutters.

Anyways, enjoy all the pictures and I'd be happy to talk more about certain features if anyone has questions.

Wow this really turned out great! Beautiful design. How are you going to protect the screen during transport?

Wow this really turned out great! Beautiful design. How are you going to protect the screen during transport?
Good question. That's a design feature I still need to add, which I'll most likely do for version 2.0. For now I just transport the system in a cardboard box with foam padding.

This thing turned out gorgeous. I was skeptical about a 21" game tablet thing, but I'm sold on the idea now for sure. For the laser work, did you farm it out to somebody like Ponoko, or local?

This thing turned out gorgeous. I was skeptical about a 21" game tablet thing, but I'm sold on the idea now for sure. For the laser work, did you farm it out to somebody like Ponoko, or local?
Thanks, it is quite heavy and not good for "on the go" play, but it's great for bringing to a friend's house or party and easily having a Wii U set-up with a screen big enough for multiplayer. The laser cutting I did myself at a fab lab here in town. Here's some pics of my design files (High res versions can be found in the Google photos album). I had to cut them out on three separate sheets since the laser cutter is 12 x 24".
L7V33T9.jpg
aKC4sSE.jpg
SpK49IJ.jpg

Back