PC build

Twilight Wolf said:
bic said:
People only buy AMD because they're not rich people.

Fix'd, though to be fair Intel has dramatically improved their price:performance since I built my desktop.
Okay dude, really? Every other post is about you being poor. It's getting really annoying now

But yeah, I'd go for the Intel processor that Mako posted. Because AMD is for people who don't know any better :trollface:

AMD used to be better price/performance wise up to the $300 mark, after that they literally had nothing to offer. You could get a quad core for less than a dual core Intel, although Clarkdale was actually faster in some applications. Intel dominated the high end and still does dominate the high end. Sandy Bridge has shaken things up a bit. It was released at the $200 price point and an i5-2500K can compete with processors that cost four times as much. On the AMD front, Bulldozer is on its way and promises much better performance than Phenom II.

Tl;dr? With Sandy Bridge here and Bulldozer coming, Phenom II is not a smart choice unless you are dirt poor.

Go with the 2300 if that's all you can afford, otherwise go up to the 2500K and get a P67 motherboard. From what I read, overclocking is dead easy and a 2500K can hit 4.4GHz on stock air.

Twilight Wolf said:
No, that's XCVG you're thinking of. :p

I haven't actually whined about being poor in a while.

If you have no intention to double up your video cards, the second board will do fine.

Ok sweet, that helps the price a bit. And do you think the 5830 would do fine for this setup, playing at 1650x900?

Considering my 5770 can max anything out at 1440x900, I think the 5830 will do ya fine :p

If you can get it cheap, I suppose. The GTX 460, which costs $150 if you go to the right places, edges it out on some tests.

Not much. We have
i5 2500k $225
ASUS P8P67 LE $150
Patriot 4gb DDR3 $30
Ati Radeon HD 5830 $130
Free case
Free DVD drive
some sort of HDD free-$50
Cooler Master 500w PSU $35
TOTAL $570-620

I'd like to keep it as low as possible, but I would spend extra on a GPU if its worth it.

If you can get a GTX 460, even the 768MB model, cheap enough then go for it, otherwise stick with the 5830.

Phys-x, CUDA, lower price tag for same performance, of you search around. ( I bought one for $120 from newegg)

Back