N64 Clock

I still think it would be a cool idea if it didn't involve soldering/routing all those wires through such a small space. It just wouldn't be worth the time and effort, especially for something as simple as a clock.

As for a clock cartridge that displayed the time on a TV, I have no idea how you'd do that. You mean something like a homebrew program that runs on the N64 itself, right? Doesn't sound feasible at all, to be honest. I don't know of any homebrew community to speak of for the N64 in the first place, and I think you'd need a flash cartridge (expensive) to get the program on there, in which case it's less of a clock cartridge than a clock program that happens to be on a flash cartridge. And if you're not playing a game in the first place, you probably have better things to do with the TV than check what time it is.

Maybe you could tap the video line of the N64 (can you output composite video with a microcontroller? I honestly have no idea) and install a switch to display the time when there isn't a game inserted, but again, that's throwing practicality out the window.

...What? You just said you didn't care about practicallity, wasting time, etc blah blah blah.

Bush said:
...What? You just said you didn't care about practicallity, wasting time, etc blah blah blah.
That second post of mine was just an overblown, sarcastic way of acknowledging that, on second thought, my original idea would be really impractical to implement in real life. Hence the :dah:. But I'm not all that good at conveying my actual intent over the cybertubes. If my experience with other Internet communities serves me right, in fact, this will probably end in me becoming a social pariah, enduring a few visits from the federal authorities, and eventually having to enter yet another witness protection program.

But anyway, I'm going to go ahead and shut up while I'm behind. There are clocks to be built.

Making the clock run on the N64? Yeah, you would need to write an N64 program. It would have to interface with an RTC in the cartridge as the N64 has no onboard clock. Would not necessarily need a flashcart, just a donor cart and an EPROM. Writing the N64 program would be the most difficult part. It is possible, but difficult, and beyond the realm of possibility for me at least. Someone like marshallh could probably do it. In any case, it would be blowing a simple mod to ridiculous levels of complexity.

XCVG said:
Making the clock run on the N64? Yeah, you would need to write an N64 program. It would have to interface with an RTC in the cartridge as the N64 has no onboard clock. Would not necessarily need a flashcart, just a donor cart and an EPROM. Writing the N64 program would be the most difficult part. It is possible, but difficult, and beyond the realm of possibility for me at least. Someone like marshallh could probably do it. In any case, it would be blowing a simple mod to ridiculous levels of complexity.
If the cart just had a physical clock in it, no a/v out, would the cart need to interface with the N64 or can it just steal power?

XCVG said:
Ah, alright. I did remember marshallh's flashcart thread when I was writing that post, and how I couldn't comprehend a single word of it... in any case, I'm sure he has better things to do with all of that technical knowledge (besides stealing names).

It will provide power. The N64 is dead simple, I think it's directly connected to the switch.

Back