N64 Clock

Gotta find a clock that runs off 3V, though. Most run off of 9V. I wonder if they could handle 12V...

Well, as a backup that saves the time the AAAs should work, I'd imagine. I don't know, though, it's been a while since I've had a clock that had a backup battery...

XD

I only have one '168 and an Arduino, though. Gotta pick up some more chips one of these days. I think I could do it in software, but it would probably be better to use a separate RTC like a ds1307, right?

The issue is, the N64 board will be on while the clock is on. A battery powered travel clock would work great, I would think.

Sure there is. I could make the clock run off of wall power or batteries, rather than the N64.

bassmasta said:
But is is there enough available current to run a 5-7 segment multiplexed display and a microcontroller?

Way more than enough.

Bush said:
The issue is, the N64 board will be on while the clock is on. A battery powered travel clock would work great, I would think.

Yeah, a battery powered travel clock might work.

XCVG said:
Bush said:
Yeah, a battery powered travel clock might work.
If you used the N64 to charge it, would the N64 board charge it if say you only connected to 3.3V/12V?

Maybe. 3.3V probably wouldn't be enough to charge, 12V would be too much unless you had quite a few cells. Depends on the number of batteries, really. If it was one cell, 3.3V would be enough. Most probably use 2 or 4 cells, so you would need some sort of charging circuitry. Remember that the N64 would only charge it while on.

I think the AVR+RTC completely homebrew way is the way to go. You could have the battery backup to keep time, then when you put it in an N64 and turn it on, boom, clock. Of course you could do other things with it, too. Maybe a cool light pattern? I wonder if there would be space to cram an appropriate game into the cartridge.

Hmmm.

Maybe you could have a clock cartridge with passthrough wires to a cartridge slot on the top so you could leave the clock in permanently and put in games whenever you wanted to. It would be like a GameShark, but you probably wouldn't want to destroy one of those, so you could just chop off the top of the clock cartridge and stick the cartridge slot from a dead N64 on there.

Well, maybe designing convoluted, impractical wastes of space just happens to be a hobby of mine. Maybe you guys should be a little more considerate of that before you go and wreck my pride like the amoral savages you are. Now I'll have to go hide in my poorly-thought-out underground bunker so the world will leave me alone just leave me alone and then maybe I can cry until the misery fades away. But it never does. It never does.

:dah:

(By the way, thanks for pointing out that my idea would've been a massive waste of time before I went and wasted my time on it. Because I was prepared to.)

Well, I liked your idea. But it would end up kind of awkward to use most likely. Clock cartridge is probably the most elegant way to do it.

Hmmm, what about a clock cartridge that actually runs a program on the N64 to display the time on a TV...

Back