MyMixed & SonyQrio's Epic 3DS Analog Stick Guide

SonyQrio

Frequent Poster
SonyQrio's Awesome 3DS Analog Stick Nub Replacement Guide:

Parts List:
6098736388_d62ded7c23_z.jpg

1x GameCube Joystick Cap, 1x 3DS Analog Stick, 1x PSP Analog Stick Friction Spacer (optional), 1x PSP Analog Stick Cap

Step 1:
6098734024_068a1349fe_z.jpg

Carefully cut the rubber off of your GC Joystick Cap.

6098187935_dbe80cf7ee_z.jpg

It should end up looking like this.

Step 2:
6098185537_8b24cc0867_z.jpg

Apply a fair amount of hot glue to the inside of the rubber.

Step 3:
6098731316_e4c914fff1_z.jpg

Quickly place the PSP analog stick cap inside the rubber. It fits perfectly!

Step 4:
6098727266_6c27119b22_z.jpg

If you chose to put the friction spacer in, go ahead and do so now.

Step 5:
6098728626_d879c29d57_z.jpg

Apply a small amount of hot glue to the bottom of the PSP analog stick cap so it stick to the 3DS analog stick.

Step 6:
6098179161_caced4983b_z.jpg

Quickly position the new rubber cap in the center of the 3DS analog stick and let it dry.
__________________________________________________________________________________________

Finished product:

6098175849_bf42d6a5a7_z.jpg

6098723900_d378f8484b_z.jpg

__________________________________________________________________________________________

MyMixed's Inverted Axis Schematic and SonyQrio's Resistor Theory:

6098551219_38fc5afa67_z.jpg

The above schematic inverts the axis and eliminates any "crawling." You also retain full range!

MyMixed nearly broke his $13 dollar 3DS analog stick by taking it apart, but on the way, he found this:

6098874230_21b10b974a_z.jpg

You can break off the tiny piece of plastic covering the end of the ribbon cable and scotch tape the wires (better than solder imo) to the huge contact points! NO MORE TINY SOLDERING!

More updates soon...

Re: SonyQrio's Awesome 3DS Analog Nub Replacement Guide

:awesome:! I might do this! I'm working on the guide right now!

- mymixed

GREAT IDEA!

but, Zenloc says we can't use 3DS nu--OH flax MYMIXED YOU ARE MY HERO

This is pretty cool! Wouldn't it be possible to just put the modified cap on a psp joystick and use that?

unicycler17 said:
This is pretty cool! Wouldn't it be possible to just put the modified cap on a psp joystick and use that?

PSP joysticks are a piece of flux. 3DS analog sticks are as close as you can get to touching the hand of God.

when you say "eliminates crawling" what exactly do you mean? Partial movement and all that are still there right? Like I can run and walk in a zelda game based off how much i push the stick still right?

Have you tested this theory?? Make a little video of it actually showing the axis is not inverted. Would be fantastic if it works. I'll have a quick test tonight. I'm not exactly sure ehat the resistors di though to revert the axis could you explain a bit more?

also using hot glue to keep the stick in place is a bad ide I would use gel super glue. That way it'll never come off. Just make sure it's positioned in the middle.

Tchay said:
when you say "eliminates crawling" what exactly do you mean? Partial movement and all that are still there right? Like I can run and walk in a zelda game based off how much i push the stick still right?

Nope. The stick is flawless. Full range on each side, and no ghost movement.

zenloc said:
Make a little video of it actually showing the axis is not inverted... I'm not exactly sure ehat the resistors di though to revert the axis could you explain a bit more?

also using hot glue to keep the stick in place is a bad ide I would use gel super glue. That way it'll never come off. Just make sure it's positioned in the middle.

The resistors on each axis eliminate the "ghost movement" or "crawling" and the resistor in the middle acts an in-between for each axis and eliminates any conflict that might cause the inverted axis problem. It all worked in theory and last night we tested it.

MyMixed's Modded Analog Stick:
6099045606_24ccee1881_z.jpg

Video tonight, after I consult with my buddy MyMixed.

Also, you can use whatever you want to hold the rubber and cap in place. xD

ShockSlayer said:
I wanna see if working, it looks really good though, I might do this if I make another GCp/N64p.

SS
Sony and I will probably be making a video on Saturday. However, rest assured, it works great! Also, thanks everyone :D.

- mymixed

I don't know what resistance the XBox 360 controller joystick is, but if it is 10k, it'd work like a charm.

Just an update: MyMixed and I are going to be working on this a ton this weekend. Prepare for updates and possibly a video!

Sorta update...

So we were playing around with this at the Hacker Dojo this weekend and found out a few things that all you probably don't want to hear. The GC analog stick is BIG TIME design flawed from a impedance standpoint. Long story short, there is no way you are going to be able to hook this directly up to a GC or an N64. The diagram that was posted earlier works on the N64, but the crawling is not eliminated on the Y+ axis due to the design flaw.

HOWEVER, DO NOT FRET! We have combated this problem with an Arduino. i.e. You feed the X+ and Y+ from the analog stick into the microcontroller and you get flawless X+ and Y+ out of the microcontroller. Does this mean that if you want to use a 3DS analog stick in your portable, you will have to stick an Arduino in it? NO! We are currently designing a board that will take care of all your 3DS analog stick problems... and how small will it be? About the size of the joystick its self.

t4109805-117-thumb-attiny10.jpg

Furthermore, there will be an FFC socket that you can plug the analog stick directly into, and all you will have to solder to is the nicely sized test pads for +5v, GND, X+ out, and Y+ out. There will be models for the N64, i.e support for the analog stick, and models for the GC, i.e. support fot BOTH the analog stick and C stick.

So, if you bothered to read all of this, how much would you pay for one of these? Would you even buy it at all?

Thanks for the feedback,
SonyQrio

Back