I'm entering the race: SonyQrios µGC Worklog

lyberty5 said:
(granted the difference between handheld and portable isn't clear to me either)

my definition is that if it doesn't have batterys, it's not portable - if you cant play it on a bus it doesn't fit the definition of the word

Diminuendo said:
lyberty5 said:
(granted the difference between handheld and portable isn't clear to me either)

my definition is that if it doesn't have batterys, it's not portable - if you cant play it on a bus it doesn't fit the definition of the word

Well then I guess this is handlheld, and I'd better change my sig.
(also, external battery packs enablr handhels to be played on the bus :awesome: but that's nitpicking)

lyberty5 said:
I know you probably won't do what I say since you've been bragging about it being the smallest since the very beggining, but please, when doing you final video (when you close this up) do your measurements FIRST before calling it the smallest portable in the world.
Yikes. We all have our hopes and aspirations that our portable will be the best. That it'll shine brightly, and outdo them all. However, what I've realized is that some things simply have to be left to the masters. I know that my portable isn't the smallest. We've established that. But, that doesn't take away from my pride in this thing in the least. Just the fact that I can say that I am a portabilizer makes me proud - but the fact that I am an accepted member of this community is an even better feeling. I commend all the support I have received on this project, it has helped me push through. I wouldn't have been able to do it without you guys. There's probably one thing I should say: "Thank you ModRetro."

I'm in a bit of a tough spot right now. The unit is almost done. I could finish it in an hour, which I plan on doing today. But, I'm getting some pretty serious offers for this thing on YouTube.

I had some guy offer me a straight up $700 for the unit + whatever the battery, charger, and shipping would cost. I haven't had the chance to sit down with this thing yet and play it for myself, but at the same time, I don't think that I'll ever get an offer like this again.

I can always make another one, in fact I have an OMGWTFBBQ cut board sitting on my desk and a brand new wiikey with the port ripped off ready to be soldered to. (hint hint) Now that I have this down, it wouldn't even be that difficult.

Should I sell it or keep it. Help.

Maybe sell it. After you have tested it thoroughly for a good week or more. You will probably get many more offers even if you turn this guy down. And until he sends you the money, nothing is for sure.

If you feel pretty attached to it, maybe keep it and sell a copy of it. I had no problem selling the Envision (but I also played it and tested it for like 5 months before I found the right buyer, so I got my fix of the Envision outa the way).

SonyQrio said:
I could finish it in an hour, which I plan on doing today.

Lies.

Also, never commit to sell anything before you know its going to continue work for an extended period of time. Like Tchay said, playtest it for a few weeks for at least 4+ hrs a session to make sure its not going to zonk out on you (or more importantly your customer).

I didn't consider selling my first cube, even though it has never failed me yet, just because it was my first and I wasn't pretentious enough to think it would hold on over time for nearly a thousand dollars. Offers are tempting, but you gotta think ahead. These are serious amounts of money.
Finish one first, then be sure of yourself.

Ashen said:
SonyQrio said:
I could finish it in an hour, which I plan on doing today.

Lies.

Also, never commit to sell anything before you know its going to continue work for an extended period of time. Like Tchay said, playtest it for a few weeks for at least 4+ hrs a session to make sure its not going to zonk out on you (or more importantly your customer).

This is why I was rather comfortable with selling the ZNWii.

Nothing says stable quite like being ziptie'd by the hinges to a cardboard box filled with candy on a longass bus ride and then being recharged and drained several times.

I thought someone would ask that question. The problem is, the case isn't completely closing. Do you want pics before or after the case is closed? Let me guess. Both?

The portable is done. I can hold it in my hands and play it without any problems. It's just there's a small gap in the front where it won't entirely close. I'll have to rearrange some stuff in order to get it to close.

I guess I'll get some pics of it today, then I'll make the video once it's entirely closed. :awesome:

The last two I did I just squished the piss out of em till they closed, all the while praying to lawd baby jleeeeeesus that nothing would break in the process. Jelly came through.

Problem is, I have no method of actually holding this thing together. I had to remove the screw threads from the top of the case in order to make the controls fit properly. I dont want to epoxy it closed in case I have to reopen it to fix something. Any ideas how I could get it to stay together?

P.S. I lol'd at your post, Ashen.

Back