Fusion Micro(s) ~ Worklog

Re: Fusion Micro ~ Worklog

Yea, I may end up doing just that. As far as I know, there's not to many games that actually utilize the pots to the point where they're actually needed. Star wars is the only one that comes to mind.

Thx for the suggestions everyone!

Melee uses it for shield control and WW uses it for ducking/warcrawling, I believe.

SS

EDIT: I'm not quite sure though, I'll have to check it out for sure. Dunno if either of those games are important to you though, that's what really matters.

Fusion Micro ~ Worklog

It's really important in Luigi's Mansion, which sadly doesn't work on the Wiikey. :(

Does it work with the WODE?

Luigi's Mansion PAL works. Even on ntsc consoles.

In all the games that use the analog triggers only luigi's mansion, mario sunshine, bomberman generation and driving games use it to it's full potential. Other games like windwaker use it as a button press instead on the L or R button itself. Why they did that I don't know but it's just the same as pushing a button. There is no difference if you push is further.

But let's be honest even in sunshine and driving games do you really bother with pushing the trigger half way?? All the games I have played I always press the tigger to the max. If luigi's mansion is the only game that you would really need it I can live with that...

In mario sunshine, the resistor function makes you spray water, and the fully pressed click makes you stop and aim. If you only press the "click" down, you will aim without spraying.

I placed a mushy tact on top of my psp trigger just now, and pressed down. The trigger went down before the tact on top did, so I don't think SS first Idea would work unless you had the function of the buttons switched, or if you had a normal tact on the bottom, and a mushy on the top.

Personally, I think the best idea is to have a single button that pushes controls both trigger functions, like zenloc's idea. That would require the least modifiCASEion too.

Maybe we need a list of games?

If we can be sure that the potentiometer is not needed then I would be VERY happy.

Games I would play on a GCP:

Zelda WW
Zelda TP
Zelda CE
Fzero
Melee
Metal Gear Solid
Beyond Good and Evil
RE4, RE: zero, RE remake
Pikmin 1,2
Metroid Prime 1,2
Mario Sunshine

Do ANY of the above games NEED the potentiometer??? Maybe I will do some testing for the games that I own. But It would be really nice if everyone could do tests and then post the results in a list.

Unless, Zenloc, you are positive that we could just use one tact switch to get by???

In Luigi's Mansion, the R trigger controls the suction of Luigi's vacuum. The harder you press the button, the more suction the vacuum has. I always found myself pressing the trigger to max suction, so it's not really needed.

Fusion Micro ~ Worklog

Not quite. When you get elemental upgrades, when you press L all the way down you get powerful bursts. This makes it run out quicker. However, when you press quarter, half, or near full you get a stream.

Even still, NOT having the range of the pots will not "break" to many games. It'll be a minor inconvenience at most for things like luigi's mansion and the feature listed above. When going for something this small, there's gonna be some kind of trade off.

It may even be a nice feature for those of us who want a bit more challenge on these games we've already played through however many times already.

@ Tchay, I'm 99% sure none of the games you mentioned will be effected by not having the pots fully active. Though I'm not sure about the RE games, I've never been a big fan.

I'll do some testing in a couple days. How should we wire this up?

We still need the actual button press that is at the end of the triggers, but what about the 3 potentiometer soldering points? What should we do with them???

It should be just like any other potentiometer to wire up. One voltage line, one ground and one resistance line. I haven't had a chance to putz about with what is what yet. I'll get to it in a bit.

Ashen said:
It should be just like any other potentiometer to wire up. One voltage line, one ground and one resistance line. I haven't had a chance to putz about with what is what yet. I'll get to it in a bit.

Right but we are trying to get rid of the potentiometer. But we can't leave those lines unwired because the controller messes up without the potentiometer hooked up.

The resistor line is the only line going to the chip however like you say there has to be 2 resistors otherwise the controller won't work properly.

One is the resistance when the buttons is not pressed (slider up) and the other is the resistance when the button is fully pressed (slider down).

so:

3v > resistor (not pushed value) > tact switch > resistor in series (pushed value)

As far as I know that should work. I have yet to test it myself. As for the values it might be slightly difference per controller. When I get round to it I'll also post my info.

I was just about to post the exact same thing Zen, thx for typing it for me. lol

:dahroll: Only just found out it might be wrong :lol: I just checked the resistance with a multimeter on a original controller and a gamecube wii classic knockoff.

between 3v and resistance line I get around 7k ohm when not pressed and 450 ohm when pressed. However it's the opposite between ground and resistance. That would mean wiring it like I said on with the 3v line is not possible as you can't reduce ohm's that way. Maybe wiring it to ground would be a better solution. I'm going to the shops tomorrow and get some resistors and play around with it.

I also have a trustpad wii classic controller which doesn't have analog shoulder buttons. I'll ahve a look inside and see how they did it. As for the classic knock off it was 5k ohm no pressed and 200 ohm when pressed. I doubt it'll make much of a difference but then again some controllers can be picky.

The way I wired it in my portable was I just left the pot intact, epoxied not pushed down, and then put a switch going between the two outside pins. I don't think theres any real need to remove the pot itself, since it doesn't take almost any room up.

unicycler17 said:
The way I wired it in my portable was I just left the pot intact, epoxied not pushed down, and then put a switch going between the two outside pins. I don't think theres any real need to remove the pot itself, since it doesn't take almost any room up.

lol this^ seems like the most simple solution. I don't know why I was thinking so hard about rewiring and other crap. The pot is so tiny that you could just relocate it somewhere in the case and then just use the L and R tacts for the shoulder buttons.

Any reason NOT to do it this way???

The way I had it in my head was to use a normally open/closed tact. Just like I use for the Wiikey eject switch. The "common" pin going to either voltage or ground (have to test what the controller wants). The "NC" pin to a (insert resistance)resistor>resistor dataline. The "NO" pin to a (insert resistance)resistor>resistor dataline. The resistances of course corresponding to whatever the values of "all the way up/all the way down" for that controller. If that makes sense....

Of course, if there's room for it unicyclers way works also.

That works exactly the same way as using a resistor. So yeah you can do that if you have space for it. Ofcourse the point of this method is using it without the analog slider but he it works either way.

Edit: Ashen that was exactly the same thing I wa thinking... thnx for typing it so I don't have to bother :p

Back