Felix Baumgartner

Kickback

Teen Idle
Staff member
felix-baumgartner-stratos_25874_600x450.jpg

Just jumped 120,000ish feet from the *Can'tSayThisOnTV*ing edge of space.

I love people who do insane expensive flax for no other reason than why not?

Discuss this awesome bloke.

How the Heck did he not burn up before deploying his parachute but after hitting enough air to create friction?

ProgMetalMan said:
How the Heck did he not burn up before deploying his parachute but after hitting enough air to create friction?
Because he wasn't nearly high enough for that. At 120,000 feet, he was about 23 miles up. Thats a low end of the stratosphere. You don't get reentry friction issues until at least the Mesosphere, and really, you'd need to be in the thermosphere to have shuttle levels of heat and stuff. Thats more like 3000 to 4000 miles up. (The technical edge of space, the Karman Line is above the exosphere at 6200 miles.)

All that said, the jump is *Can'tSayThisOnTV*ing awesome. Somehow, it makes me want to play Halo ODST.

samjc3 said:
ProgMetalMan said:
Because he wasn't nearly high enough for that. At 120,000 feet, he was about 23 miles up. Thats a low end of the stratosphere. You don't get reentry friction issues until at least the Mesosphere, and really, you'd need to be in the thermosphere to have shuttle levels of heat and stuff. Thats more like 3000 to 4000 miles up. (The technical edge of space, the Karman Line is above the exosphere at 6200 miles.)
The space shuttle (RIP) would only go up to 200-400 miles. The main issue would be speed. Going 17,500MPH causes you to hit a lot of air really fast, even when there's relatively little of it.

I don't drink Red Bull, but the awesome stunts they sponsor makes me want to buy a case just to support them.

I wouldn't say it makes up for them shortening the lifespan of our peers and parents.

People put things a lot worse than Red Bull in their bodies, and they always will.

Anyway, I saw this live, pretty cool.

Back