Can I Upgrade This?

samjc3 said:
Reviews on that power supply are fine. Besides, that stuff is all interchangeable. You can find almost any brand at that price.
Rosewill PSUs are pieces of flax, there's a 1 in 4 chance or something that the thing will arrive in need of RMA. If it's the same price as other stuff, why not just go with Seasonic?

Seasonic, Corsair, Antec, and Cooler Master are all good power supplies, in my experience. Rosewill and Sunshinehappytek, not so much. Other Rosewill products are pretty good, but like Mako said if their power supplies aren't DOA there's a good chance they'll crap themselves in a year. (If you make it past 12 months, congratulations you got a good one out of luck.) There are some decent Rosewill supplies for sale; it all depends on which manufacturing company NewEgg sourced them from, which isn't always clear right off the bat. Just go with a Seasonic or a PSU they make and rebrand for another vendor; they've been making power supplies since the Apple II days and they're still in business so they must be doing something right. :awesome:

Also, don't only look at the total wattage when buying power supplies, especially cheap ones. A lot of cheap and shady manufacturers pad the wattage numbers by increasing the amperage capacity on the 5v rails, where it doesn't do any good to desktop hard drives and video cards. That EarthWatts supply is one of the good ones.

Re:

Pally321 said:
Would using the Asus motherboard work with Mako's setup? (Sorry Sam) :p
Yes. They are fully compatible. Though I really recommend the G.skill Ram over the Mushkin Mako chose. The G.skill has full ramsinks built on so it will last longer, and an amazing warranty, just in case. Beyond that, all the parts are about the same, just I went with slightly cheaper stuff.

Thanks a lot guys, so now I just need to know where to get Windows 7 Home Premium and a nice keyboard and mouse. The keyboard and mouse dont need a ton of features, I prefer something simple.

Dynex has a set of quite basic usb keyboard/mouse for like $30 at best buy. They aint half bad. As for windows, you can buy a copy off newegg for OEM price, or you could just acquire a copy.

Back