Beta spills the beans

βeta

ModRetro Legend
The N64 can be be trimmed a lot.

http://i.imgur.com/Y7RUY.jpg

The U2 chip is just an audio amp, don't need that.
The audio amp and the 7805 that drives the U1 chip are the only things on the 12v line. The U1 will happily take ~3.7v, so you can easily run the N64 off of a single lithium ion cell.

Audio and video can be pulled off of the U1 chip, here is the pinout. You need a capacitor on each of the data lines for filtering.

Rev 8/9

Pin 17 R Audio
Pin 20 L Audio
Pin 27 Composite Video
Pin 28 5v

NOW GET TRIMMING!

Basically. I did this trimming and had some trouble with ground that I never worked out, but it was fine other than that.

Yea beta, you really did spill the beans.

I've been planning to beat Shockslayer and retake my title for the smallest portable n64 in the world. It will involve massive trimming and tiny things. Possibly even custom made parts.

So I may be attempting this very soon.

However I'm jumping on the gamecube golden age bandwagon and am working on a portable gamecube as soon as the simple 64 is done. Which will be sooner than expected.

Feel free to beat me off the top spot on the list for smallest portable N64. This looks good, but be careful because different revs may have different traces in different places.

SS

Kinda everywhere. This only works for Rev 6+ (Rev 5 too maybe?), whatever ones have the combo U1 chip instead of one for audio and one for video.

Well I wasn't refering to this one specifically because I need to replace both of the ram chips so an earlier revision, but as small as possible is the idea.

Sorry I don't want to jack this thread. :sweat:

Well. You seem to have overlooked the difficulty that is now posed by the 3.3v line. A battery's voltage starts out at about 4.2v drops (to about 3v) as it runs out. 4.2v will fry it, so you need something that will keep it at a constant 3.3v. However, when I looked into this earlier in the year, I found this. (I think this is the same model that I concluded was best. There are more here) Now after getting these, I found out that they are Dang tiny and difficult to solder to.

ToastBucket said:
Well. You seem to have overlooked the difficulty that is now posed by the 3.3v line. A battery's voltage starts out at about 4.2v drops (to about 3v) as it runs out. 4.2v will fry it, so you need something that will keep it at a constant 3.3v. However, when I looked into this earlier in the year, I found this. (I think this is the same model that I concluded was best. There are more here) Now after getting these, I found out that they are Dang tiny and difficult to solder to.

lololol just make a gamecube with cube64 emulation you goons

:trollface:

I love it how people like to cut in a not rectangle shape :dahroll: It makes no sense at all cutting so much unless you use that cut space for another board.

Would be cool if you use that right top cut space to put a controller that way you make use of the empty space.

Also the U1 chip will run on lower voltages but sound will sound crappy. So it really needs 5v. Trust me I have done some extensive testing on many revisions and all have the same problem.

zenloc said:
I love it how people like to cut in a not rectangle shape :dahroll: It makes no sense at all cutting so much unless you use that cut space for another board.

Actually, Beta used the space perfectly. He showed me his case design and he angled the motherboard into his design perfectly. A rectangle cut would not have fit ;)

Back