Best Component to VGA Converter for Wiip

legofan623

I'm making a Wii portable with a friend, we're gathering parts right now. I got my hands on a VGA monitor for ~$5, and that's what I'm set on using. I know that composite to VGA is just flax, so what about component to VGA? Is there a good one (no lag, decent quality) available anywhere?

inb4 check the stickies, I already did.

Wii / PS3 to VGA Cable for Computer Monitor https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003BDDLEK/re ... nwb0CMW3AG

I have no clue about any other type but I've used this one specifically and it's great. It converts the 480p component signal to VGA 1:1 (from what I understand) and it uses a special chip that is designed specifically for component to VGA so the input-lag is somewhere in the nanoseconds. Mine is modded with a headphone jack and new housing and I could totally part with it.

Here's Ashen's thread about this cable as well:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=9954

It has issues. I used it before but switched over to component to HDMI because of all the problems. It cant display interlaced video. The colors are washed out compared to the component video, and the screen occasionally goes black. It works, but I wouldn't recommend it.

The screen only goes black when displaying interlaced from what I've experienced you maybe be right though since I didn't test a ton of games. And if you're using interlaced no point in using the VGA adapter I suppose unless you don't have a component enabled TV. Keep in mind with the HDMI converters, they over gamma the signal so you'll end up with washed out blacks and dark greys but the good ones are lagless (Sewell is the most trusted brand of HDMI adapters from what I've heard be wary of other cheaper brands as they apparently have noticeable lag and bad quality.

Pretty much all Wii games support progressive though, right? GameCube is all I should be worried about, correct?

Yeah GC is hit or miss. I'd wait for the GC-Video chip if you're wanting HQ Gamecube game visuals.

Eh, I'll mostly just use the portable for Project M at school, so the cable should do nicely. Thanks for the help!

Back