Battery help

Need a bit of help please...
Was wrapping things up on my portable last night. I built an Atari 2600 portable.
Got everything stuffed into the case, but I'm a bit confused about the batteries.

I used a real Atari 2600 (using Ben Heck's 4x4 mod) and one of those hip screen pads for the video. II've got everything running off of 6 AA batteries.
Obviously that isn't the best solution. Do you have any suggestions on what I should do about the battery issue? It works now, but I am sure it won't work for long on that type of power once the batteries drain a bit.

I don't know much about amps and rechargables and other stuff. I am hoping someone here can lead me in the right direction. I will look over the rest of the threads here (seems like a lot of good people and helpful advice) and check back in a bit. Thanks!

Well, the 4-switch atari 2600 draws 9v at 450mA, and you screen draws 9v at 200mA. So, for at least 4 hours of gameplay on one charge, you'd need a 9v(and up) 2600+mAh battery. (2600. Ironic, isn't it?)

so... generally speaking... i can go higher than 9 volts. and the higher the mAh... the longer the playtime on a single chrage...right?

I assume the 200 + 450 * 4 hours= 2600 mAh
but i could up the mAh right?

also... if the charge is low, won't that cause screen issues (fading color, rolling, etc.)

thanks...

(the 100th member!!! yay! this forums seems more helpful than the other one.

You could up the mAh for more play time, yes. Upping the voltage is probably unnecessary, in fact you could probably be able to get away with a 2 cell, 7.4V LiPo/LiIon pack.

Well.. I tried fresh batteries. I then went out and grabbed Lithium batteries. Same issue.
If I leave the unit alone for a bit, and then turn it on, it works. For about 2 minutes.
Then the vertical hold goes wacky and the screen is strange. The sound is still there. That make me think there isn't enough power for the screen or something. I'm not really sure.

I am using the Hip Screen that was attached to a controller. 6 AA batteries.
any suggestions?

will that 7.4 work?

Basement_Modder said:
7.4v will not work, because hip gear screens use 8v. The initial 9v input goes to a 7808.

I think you can remove the regulator, but I'm not sure. I know that person at Adafruit has played with the hipgear screen.

Okay... I have everything going through the Atari 2600's 7805 per Ben's book and other portables.

If I remove the regulator, won't I fry the Atari? Also, a lot of other things connect to that (the video mod... or the big pot that controls the color if I recall.

Should I really take out the regulator? Everything is supposed to only take 5 volt on the atari (I believe). I sure would hate to fry it.

I just re-read the section on the power regulators...
It states that the only place that is supposed to recieve un-regulated power is one lead of the CTP. Otherwise I can send the atari to 'its grave'

retrodelee said:
So I should just remove it?
I need to get my meter out and check it.

Would that cause the color to change though?
No. The screen would still be getting the voltage it usually gets.
XCVG said:
Basement_Modder said:
7.4v will not work, because hip gear screens use 8v. The initial 9v input goes to a 7808.

I think you can remove the regulator, but I'm not sure. I know that person at Adafruit has played with the hipgear screen.
But 7.4v ≠ 8v

Okay...

I pulled out the ol' meter and decided to check everything out.
It is a power issue. I am 100% sure of that.

Generally a battery will 'replenish' itself a tad once you turn it off and leave it off for a bit. (Kind of like throwing your cell phone battery in a freezer if you need one last bit of power out of it).

So, the problem I have is this:
when the batteries I have start to run down, there isn't enough juice to keep the screen stable (so it doesn't start rolling. The screen will stay on, this much I do know but it is unplayable be cause it is rolling. The game/atari is still working just fine. No issues there. I can here Pacman dying, and ol' Harry from Pitfall jumping around or dying.

So when I had the meter hooked to the power on the screen I was reading 8.25v
So I knew I was only getting about 3-4 minutes of playtime, and figured it had to be the battery draining. So I sat and watched. The magic number: When it hits 7.99 and 8.00, the game starts rolling.
So I must have 8 going into that screen.

Or that's what I am assuming.

Also... on the TV... there is only one regulator (7808 or whatever) That is for the sound. I removed it, but sound went adios. So I repatched it. LOL.

Suggestions? BTW... I got the colors completely fixed. I had originally wired the CTP incorrectly. It works great now.
I know it was mentioned to grab a battery pack off of ebay.

What exactly should I grab? if a 7.4 will not work like mentioned below, what should I get?
Looking to power this thing for about 2-4 hours. I am unsure of the Hip Screen's (the type attached to a controller) maximum intake.

I will be doing a second one soon. Do any of you have any input on a 3" screen that has a small footprint and is wasy to work with? I'd like to have something with a bit more room... and could expand to make a 3" work within a Lynx.
Just looking for a little bit of a space saver.

Main issue is the one above though. What power source should I use to get this working?

Another Idea: I was thinking about soldering on a power plug for the atari 2600. If I do this, will my screen be fried by plugging it into the wall? Right now I have my screen running through the Atari's 7805... on the unregulated power input pin. My atari's power is coming out of the regulated pin (around 4.9-5v) and the screen is getting the full jolt of the batteries. (Ben's book states to get an adaptor that can do 700mA of power at 7.5 volts. (or 800 mA).

Any suggestions?

Mmmkay first, someone has got the hipgear screen to run off 4 AAs. Obviously the regulator has to be removed, but that seems to not work. Okay, you could use a 7.4V pack and step up the voltage, or use an 11.1V pack, then you might have to step down the voltage.

Also, AEIcomponents has some nice screens. If you are cheap you could go for a Pustom screen from DX or eBay.

How do I 'step-up' voltage?
What can I do to make this run for a while?! LOL

Also, will the advice in Ben's book work for adding a wall wart plug? I would like to do that as well.

XCVG said:
Mmmkay first, someone has got the hipgear screen to run off 4 AAs. Obviously the regulator has to be removed, but that seems to not work. Okay, you could use a 7.4V pack and step up the voltage, or use an 11.1V pack, then you might have to step down the voltage.

Also, AEIcomponents has some nice screens. If you are cheap you could go for a Pustom screen from DX or eBay.

Can you show me an example of the type of battery you are talking about?
Thanks!

Back