Anyone know anything about Android tablets?

Well, since I've had a Nook Color for a bit over a week now, I'll post my thoughts on it.

Build quality is great -- it feels very solid and all the materials look and feel high-quality. Well, the volume buttons not so much; they feel a bit cheap, like they're already worn, but they work fine.

The screen is amazing -- clear and vibrant. It's a touchscreen, of course -- capacitive, and is both very responsive and very sensitive. Gathers fingerprints like nobody's business, though, as you can see demonstrated on any similar screen -- iPhone or iPod Touch, for example -- but putting an anti-glare screen protector on made them much less noticeable and didn't cut down on screen responsiveness.

Speed seems to be very good, web browsing works beautifully. Not all apps seem to work properly, though -- not exactly unexpected considering it's not supposed to be running any of the apps I installed in the first place. Emulators seem not to work well, unfortunately, but again, not unexpected. Most stuff seems to work perfectly well, though.

The rooting process was easy as Heck -- just a matter of resetting the Nook to factory settings, installing an update, and then writing a disk image to a MicroSD card and putting it in the Nook. Just as easy as CFW-ing a PSP, if not easier.

Battery life seems good so far, but I haven't recorded an actual time. Charges to full in about three hours.

Overall I'm pretty Dang pleased with it. ::3:

A few of my friends god Nook Colors for Christmas. I bought a Kindle 3 with my Christmas money.

You have fun with your multimedia device. I'll stick to actual, dedicated reading, thank you very much. ::3:

I can do actual dedicated reading on mine, too, you know. ;D

This thing has been a boredom-killer multiple times already. Took it to my cousins' house when I went there for my Grandpa's birthday party and it gave me something to do -- I'm sorry, but I simply can't hang out with my cousins that well. The nice ones, they're too young for me to actually "hang out" with them for very long, and the ones my age are worlds apart from me in terms of interests, not to mention one isn't all that nice to begin with.

I also took it to the mall yesterday and played a few games on it while I had some food. Between that and wandering between GameStop, Hot Topic, and Suncoast I kept myself entertained pretty well.

All my cousins are way older than me. Nice enough people, but a huge age gap. Most of them have kids, albeit young ones.

Have you tried putting Honeycomb on it? I bought one yesterday, it'll hopefully be here tomorrow. I'm thinking of just rooting it for now and waiting for Honeycomb to actually come out before upgrading.

Tried, yes, but haven't really succeeded. It runs off of a MicroSD card instead of being installed to the Nook itself, meaning you can turn it off and remove the SD card and it'll boot back into 2.1, but for whatever reason I've only been able to successfully boot into Honeycomb once, and that was after leaving my Nook powered on overnight. Every other time it just... sticks. It doesn't freeze, but it doesn't do anything except say "Android" in the top left corner (portrait-style). Doesn't matter how long I leave it, it does nothing. I don't know what the issue is as everyone else seems to have no problems with it. :/

Maybe I'll try downloading it from a different source sometime, in case that's the issue.

Ok, last night that would have been a bummed, but after doing some research I think rooting the stock OS will be good enough for me for now. Glad I can try out Honeycomb without worrying about my normal install.

Oh yeah, stock OS is totally sufficient for everything I've tried so far. I mainly just wanted to check out Honeycomb because I was bored one day. :p

Still, I want to get it working so I can do a real comparison between it and stock. I liked the UI on Honeycomb from what I got to play with, at least.

From what I've heard, the multitasking in Honeycomb is much better. The way it works currently in Android is pretty much the same as Palm OS (at least from the user's point of view). I would much rather have a taskbar-like area, which I think 3.0 has.

Well, since I still haven't been able to get 3.0 running on my Nook (though to be fair I haven't tried for a while), I tried looking for information on running Froyo on the thing, and I'm frankly a bit disappointed in Barnes and Noble. The last thing I can find out about them releasing it officially was posted back in December, and at that time it was supposed to be out sometime in... January? But apparently it still hasn't happened. :/

Also disappointing is that any "news" on 3.0 seems to still be what was released in February or so, too...

:tophat: Havent been here a few days....now its a bit late lol....
My brother has a huawei s7 capacitive version, very nice tablet for 200€ at the time he bought it...

I always say to look at ram and cpu of the device...512mb ram and an msm7227 cpu/gpu minimum for smartphone, for a tablet cpu should be minimum arm cortex a8...this will give a snappy and fast OS while giving a bigger lifecycle of the product....

Im waiting on a toshiba ac100 smartbook, it brings android and nice specifications and best is it cost me 150€ new....

I have an android lg p500 and its an awsome phone for 130€ without any contract!!!
Altough i would like very much to get an lg maximo 2x...but it costs 500€... lol

Back