3ds analog>psp>else?

S5114

I'm working on my design my case for my n64, but it will be small with a 3.5'' screen so controller space is limited. I am basically forced to use a slider, so I was wondering, is the psp stick as bad as people say it is, and is the 3ds stick really as good as people say it is? Lastly, are there any other sliders that can work with the n64 controller?

It's all really a judgement call. PSP stick works pretty easily in terms of wiring up whereas the 3DS stick requires different resistance values and some playing around until you can get it right. However the 3DS stick has about twice the travel that the PSP stick has.

PSP sticks are a pain in the ass. Order some 3ds sticks from DX. They require no modification as long as you use 3.3v to power them. PSP sticks dont give the range 3ds ones give, and require lots of pissing about to get them completely useable.

Ashen said:
PSP sticks are a pain in the ass. Order some 3ds sticks from DX. They require no modification as long as you use 3.3v to power them. PSP sticks dont give the range 3ds ones give, and require lots of pissing about to get them completely useable.
What do you mean they require no modifications? I thought that MM found that they needed all those 1k resisters?

They do, but from what I remember about PSP sticks, they need a lot more work than just soldering on a few resistors. I'd go with the 3DS sticks all the way.

okay thanks, and does the 3ds stick work with all n64 controllers? (Except the original n64 controller of course) If so, that should be added to bentomo's list of compatible analog sticks

It really depends on the controller how easy it is to use a PSP or 3DS stick with it. You'll need one that's third-party, obviously, but it depends on how the controller's joystick is connected. Some of them use the joystick as a voltage divider, in which case you can use the PSP joystick without modification. I've done it, and it works pretty well. I'd like to get my hands on a 3DS stick so I can try it out.

I read a thread that SS made where he got it working only by using resistors. MM was wrong, but SS said he got it working. Hmm, I will have to play around with this.

S5114 said:
That correction was for the gc controller

Yeah, the stick requires the correction resistors from mymixed's diagram on each axis for the N64. SS gives the correct resistor values for the axis correction on the gamecube. It's a pain to hook 5 or 6 resistors together to get the right value. I'd suggest doing what I'm doing and dialing it in until it works perfectly with a 15 turn 5k trim pot. They're pretty cheap if you get a pack of 3 here.

Also, when did you become such a fan of the 3DS analog stick, Ashen?

If you think about it though, GC sticks work on [many] 3rd party N64 controllers. So if the 3DS stick with SS's modifications work on GC controllers, then why shouldn't they work on 3rd party N64 controllers just as well?

Qrio: You're probably doing exactly what SS did, but you're doing it with a POT where SS found the exact values. The guide you made with MM says it needs an IC to work.

No IC required, as SS has proven. Toast has a point, though. MM said that he got it to work on the N64 with his values, which is peculiar.

SonyQrio said:
It's a pain to hook 5 or 6 resistors together to get the right value. I'd suggest doing what I'm doing and dialing it in until it works perfectly with a 15 turn 5k trim pot

Not really. I saw SS do it live, and it the actual finding the right value wasn't too hard at all. Yeah, it requires tinkering, but it doesn't really take that long at all.

so how come MM said that his version worked with n64 controllers but not Gamecube controllers

Since mine came in the mail. They require nothing hooked up to work correctly on an official GC controller AND give a wider range than the psp stick does.

I'm pretty sure all controllers that use a xx resistance pot use them as voltage dividers.

Either way, i'd go with the 3ds nubber seeing as how they can be gotten cheap from DX now. Everything about them is just slightly better than the psp nub.

BTW... Adding resistors inline on the dataline does absolutely nothing.

When you plug in a controller it sends a certain amount of voltage through the pot(s). This determines the analog sticks "0 point" the pots then vary the voltage to determine up, down, left and right input from the 0 point.

The only thing adding resistors will do is drop the initial voltage going back to the dataline slightly, and I mean very slightly.

Back