Relocating GC disc drive

Hello, and sorry for what is probably an obvious question. I'm in the middle of relocating the GC's disc drive via wires (I'm talking about where the plug used to be, not the ribbon cables). I found the pinout for the wires, but am confused on one point. There are some pins that are labeled for specific pins, and then there are red pins (5v) and black pins (ground).

Can I bridge all the 5v pins on the laser board and run it to a single 5v pin on the motherboard? And bridge all of the ground pins and run it to a single ground on the MB?

I an replying to my own thread in case anyone else wants to know. I bridged all the ground pins and ran it to a single ground on the mb, and the same with the 5v. It works just fine :)

I was about to say yes you can bridge them but it looks like you already got your answer. I suspect the main reason behind having multiple pins with the same signal is for better current-carrying capabilities, or they just do it because they had extra pins and it ensures a better connection. Just make sure you use slightly bigger wire for the power and ground since they carry more current. And if you're ever unsure about bridging again, just test for continuity first.

Back