WTB: Paypal Donation to MR

D.J

The Official Ghost/Reaper of ModRetro
As the title says I would like someone to donate on my behalf since I do not have paypal and I would pay them back at a later time, probably within a week.

It would be really helpful and nice if someone did this, it's not like I'm asking for free.

The amount I would be donating would be somwhere between 5-15 dollars.

DJ711 said:
As the title says I would like someone to donate on my behalf since I do not have paypal and I would pay them back at a later time, probably within a week.

It would be really helpful and nice if someone did this, it's not like I'm asking for free.

The amount I would be donating would be somewhere between 5-15 dollars.
I don't understand why this website needs donations. You don't see Benheck Forums asking for donations. If they know something about webhosting, they can get a website and domain with good unlimited hosting for $65 a year. Now if they are asking for anything above that, I believe they are just looking to pocket that. :pirate:

*Edit Just noticed that the donations are up to $107, that is almost a enough to run a website for a year.

NateN34 said:
DJ711 said:

I don't understand why this website needs donations. You don't see Benheck Forums asking for donations. If they know something about webhosting, they can get a website and domain with good unlimited hosting for $65 a year. Now if they are asking for anything above that, I believe they are just looking to pocket that. :pirate:

*Edit Just noticed that the donations are up to $107, that is almost a enough to run a website for a year.

Our hosting is currently $18 a month, and with the amount traffic has been increasing, it is going to be more this summer. Those absurdly cheap $65 plans are flax for actually running a website with good traffic, and that is not even factoring in that we have a TON of CPU load going to the chatroom that we keep running 24/7. On a really cheap server, it would lag to Heck and back (We have some problems even now, one of the main reasons we may upgrade).

BenHeck forums never asks for donations because they make literally hundreds of dollars a month off ad revenue, as per Ben himself. We had some serious ads up for a while, made almost $400 over the summer, then Google terminated our account because of "suspicious activity", which we have deduced almost certainly came from some people who dislike ModRetro clicking on our ads over and over in order to get us flagged.

Bottom line? BenHeck forums makes hundreds of dollars a month, we make essentially NOTHING. Every penny it costs to run this site comes out of my pocket, and it would be nice to have some extra cash in the bank for when we need to upgrade.

PalmerTech said:
NateN34 said:
DJ711 said:

Our hosting is currently $18 a month, and with the amount traffic has been increasing, it is going to be more this summer. Those absurdly cheap $65 plans are flux for actually running a website with good traffic, and that is not even factoring in that we have a TON of CPU load going to the chatroom that we keep running 24/7. On a really cheap server, it would lag to Heck and back (We have some problems even now, one of the main reasons we may upgrade).

BenHeck forums never asks for donations because they make literally hundreds of dollars a month off ad revenue, as per Ben himself. We had some serious ads up for a while, made almost $400 over the summer, then Google terminated our account because of "suspicious activity", which we have deduced almost certainly came from some people who dislike ModRetro clicking on our ads over and over in order to get us flagged.

Bottom line? BenHeck forums makes hundreds of dollars a month, we make essentially NOTHING. Every penny it costs to run this site comes out of my pocket, and it would be nice to have some extra cash in the bank for when we need to upgrade.

May I ask what hosting company you are using?

Nate, why do sites ask for donations? I like this site, I frequent it almost every day and I've been here almost since it began, now as a active memeber of a community that lets me on a great site for free, It would be a small gesture to donate to that site to keep it running and a tip of the hat to the people who run this place for doing good work. So on that note, I donate because I like this site and I could go the rest of life not donating. Or I could donate and make my day and my life on ModRetro a little bit brighter.

DJ711 said:
Nate, why do sites ask for donations? I like this site, I frequent it almost every day and I've been here almost since it began, now as a active memeber of a community that lets me on a great site for free, It would be a small gesture to donate to that site to keep it running and a tip of the hat to the people who run this place for doing good work. So on that note, I donate because I like this site and I could go the rest of life not donating. Or I could donate and make my day and my life on ModRetro a little bit brighter.
:facepalm:

Hostgator.

Yes, I know the plan is down to $13 now, but I locked myself into a year of hosting early last summer before the price drops. Not the best move, but it is still very reasonably priced for the speed and reliability we get.

ModRetro eats an absurd amount of bandwidth, we have had plenty of days where the traffic hits 6-7 gigs, JUST for one day. Despite that, we have stayed up rock solid. Our traffic has not gone down in any month since June, and averages somewhere near 50% growth every two months. Pretty exponential stuff, and the summer is not gonna help things.

PalmerTech said:
Hostgator.

Yes, I know the plan is down to $13 now, but I locked myself into a year of hosting early last summer before the price drops. Not the best move, but it is still very reasonably priced for the speed and reliability we get.

ModRetro eats an absurd amount of bandwidth, we have had plenty of days where the traffic hits 6-7 gigs, JUST for one day. Despite that, we have stayed up rock solid. Our traffic has not gone down in any month since June, and averages somewhere near 50% growth every two months. Pretty exponential stuff, and the summer is not gonna help things.
:eek: Why don't you just do like Bacteria does? He hosts his ajax chat on freeforums, although it has more downtime and is a bit slower.

NateN34 said:
PalmerTech said:
Hostgator.

:eek: Why don't you just do like Bacteria does? He hosts his ajax chat on freeforums, although it has more downtime and is a bit slower.

Because Bacteria has almost no traffic at all. Nobody uses his chatroom, ours often eats about 2 gigs a day because we actually have people in it almost 24/7. He brags about his site getting something like 250-300 hits a day, but we have to handle about 70,000 a day. See the difference? If we did what Bac is doing, our site would be down in a matter of minutes.

So sure, laugh, but you are just making it clear that you really have no idea what you are talking about. We are not forcing people to donate, we are not even giving any benefit, we are just having a fun contest to raise money that is entirely optional. If you have a problem with that, then you have a problem.

PalmerTech said:
NateN34 said:
PalmerTech said:
Hostgator.

Because Bacteria has almost no traffic at all. Nobody uses his chatroom, ours often eats about 2 gigs a day because we actually have people in it almost 24/7. He brags about his site getting something like 250-300 hits a day, but we have to handle about 70,000 a day. See the difference? If we did what Bac is doing, our site would be down in a matter of minutes.

So sure, laugh, but you are just making it clear that you really have no idea what you are talking about. We are not forcing people to donate, we are not even giving any benefit, we are just having a fun contest to raise money that is entirely optional. If you have a problem with that, then you have a problem.
No and I was laughing about how it is true that his chat would be down in a matter of minutes.

Back