WiiPad Worklog

Bush

sweet justice
WoUeu9al.jpg

We're going with WiiPad for now, unless someone has something better to suggest. I've gotten all the buttons/sticks mounted with tacts, and the next step is to wire in the controller boards, which there are four of.

You'll be able to switch between a GC controller, a Classic Controller + Wii Remote, or the Wii Remote in a landscape orientation. 2nd player GC controller port might get added, not sure yet. Otherwise, you can connect Wii Remotes + accessories over bluetooth for multiplayer. GC/Wii games are run through a WASP, while emulators are launched through WiiFlow which also replaces the sysmenu on boot.

It's getting decently close to completion; I'll add past pictures soon. For now, here's the front case half finished:

wzPhB4Ll.jpg

In case it isn't obvious, this is a Wii inside of a Wii U Gamepad protective case; frankencased and painted.

Will it have original gc analog triggers or what? I started building one in the same case, but had trouble fitting the wiimobo nicely with the triggers installed. Didn't want to trim too much though.

Will it have batteries? And that wii logo bit look really misplaced. How will you switch between different controllers?

Looks really clean, thought it was a real WiiU pad case at first :)

That logo is there to cover a sanding disaster. I'm using a cc pro for the buttons, so I'll be doing the resistor-tact method for a partial press on the big shoulders and the bottom out on the smaller triggers above. Z will be mapped to -. Controllers are selected with a 4 switch dipswitch.

Double post woooo

Here are some pictures of the work that preceded my current progress:

Original case

Ck7HLvQl.jpg

DdbfQmql.jpg

Controllers

Y3Wofg9l.jpg

SD cards with custom labels (ask me for the file if you want to make your own)

CISNKqNl.jpg

Frankencasing

wtfLDs5l.jpg

k3GZ2ial.jpg

8WYPGpJl.jpg

xSJ6VNTl.jpg

yXonZc9l.jpg

zS2a3GZl.jpg

UQmPp1Bl.jpg

Painting

UrZiXbCl.jpg

Hot glue sexy time

eDelaaMl.jpg

Present

wzPhB4Ll.jpg

Right now I am testing the buttons/controllers and trying to wire everything coherently. Things are a little tighter than expected, and hot too, so I think the solution is to raise the top half slightly, add screw mounts, and add vents in the resulting gap to remove some of the hot air. A second fan might also help, but we will see.

Had to redo a few things to make them fit. I did add the box to the back again, but forgot to take a picture of it.

Now with shoulder buttons

7AMOyiul.jpg

yaE67s5l.jpg

Board number 3 :(
At least this one is trimmed better and fits nicely in the case.

AvN4f1Kl.jpg

Hdli18sl.jpg

Hooray everything works!

U3t8Aavl.jpg

Wiring buttons is a PITA

clEEoCyl.jpg

I may do some more work today; we will see.

This looks awesome. Mostly because I've been planning nearly the same thing! (Using the same case, even)

Can I ask what battery you're using? I've heard the wii could stand up to 14v or so, even though it runs on 12. Wasn't too sure how accurate that was though.

Supernintendo64 said:
How do you play games like mario galaxy? You have to point the remote at the screen...
Not every game will be perfectly playable as-is, but the idea is to cover as many control schemes as reasonable. And while the IR sensor is needed for some parts of Galaxy, I would think most of it would be playable without it as it's mostly used for the starbits or whatever which aren't a complete necessity.

At least that's my impression, as I had often considered a Wii portable with a control scheme similar to this (so I'm really happy to see Bush actually trying to make it a reality).

Looking at the small holes on the bottom edges, I'd venture to guess that some IR LEDs would go there to act as a sensor-bar if he decided to pair an external remote for games that have IR requirements. Not as convenient as the embedded controller, but still allows for gameplay if the situation allows you to set the portable down.

Related question, Bush, are you gonna have some kind of collapsible stand in the back so that you can prop it up for remote control?

Can confirm; the Wii likes 14.8v. Unfortunately, I'm scrapping the multi-controller scheme. I don't have the money or the time left to fiddle with it. A GC controller will work for navigating WiiFlow and GC games, as well as most Wii games that support CC like smash or mario kart. The system can stand as well and you can play normal wii titles with a wireless sensor bar.

I'm about ready to paint the bottom half now; still sanding and applying filler.

Controller in
iiBjUXil.jpg

Cleaned up
nfyJCsSl.jpg

Audio
oGJBxJQl.jpg

Mounting ports
LWd25P2l.jpg

Battery gauge (poor lighting)
h7Uf1q8l.jpg

Plastic
jUa9cL2l.jpg

Covering gaps
MI7el1ll.jpg

Bondo
hDP8ONjl.jpg

Bondo
pRuKstAl.jpg

Bondo
aTKPzwzl.jpg

Good job but I hate the pegs
Just a thought wouldnt a wii classic controller have more comparability with Wii games then a GC controller?

Back