Wii SD card recommended read/write (class) speed

Durgan

Newb
I plan to softmod a Wii in order to play a game I have via SD card (for a portable). But besides doing that I need to get a new SD card. So I'm wondering what read/write speeds are typically needed. For example, if the typical read/write speed during gameplay is ~5 MB/s or so, I could confidently not bother paying the extra money for a class 10 or higher SD card.

So what speeds are usual; what class speed is recommended for this?

Would anyone happen to know what the max bus speed is from the SD card to the CPU (or anywhere else it may need to go) anyway? Or the bus speed to/fro the disc drive? (Though I realize it may not actually utilize the full bandwidth and the bottleneck could be elsewhere.)

Also, if there is any other in-depth technical information on the Wii somewhere I'd be interested to look at it.

Thanks!

Well, my curiosity on this subject remains, but I found out about an awesome one-day sale this morning on newegg that was so good I couldn't pass it up. Class 10, 32 GB card, $9.99, Patriot brand. Wtf. Lol.

But like I said, I'm still interested in the answer to this if you know anything (or any other good sources of Wii technical information you could point me towards. Particularly in the video system, beyond the simple plug pinout. Like a datasheet of the DAC! That would be great, but I don't think it's public. :p).

Back