Which Car Speakers?

vskid3

I'm thinking of getting new speakers for my car. The headunit is a Pioneer DEH-P3900MP, a few years old, but it gets the job done. My speakers are currently stock as far as I know. My car can take 6.5" speakers up front and 6x9" in back. I mainly listen to alternative, rock, and metal. I would like at least the rear speakers to be able to handle a decent amount of bass, so I don't need a sub but still get a little kick (I'm not expecting a ton). A sub would be acceptable if I can get one that doesn't take too much space, I was thinking of one that came stock in another vehicle because the enclosures are usually pretty small.
So, any suggestions? I don't have a budget set, cheap is good, but I'm willing to spend a bit more for quality.

I've got a set of Lightning Audio 6x9's in the back of my Oldsmobile, and have been extremely happy with them, they're the type with a tweeter on top of the cone. Barely fit under my deck lid, but they work.

Alternatively...

You could replace all four with a standard set of pioneers/etc., but go with a small custom speaker box with an 8" sub. I have a huge want for a sub, so this is something I've been considering for a while myself. Depending on the car, you could probably fab up a custom box fairly easily, since you don't need a ton of bass; a faux bulkhead with the speaker facing the backseat would be the best way. Stealth, and you could mount the amplifier on the speaker side of the box, so it would also be hidden. Since we're only talking probably 200 watt, heat wouldn't be that big of an issue.

I got some Pioneer TS-G1643R speakers for the front a while back, they sound a lot better. Still stock rears for now.

I'm thinking of getting a 6" Bazooka Tube to put behind my front seat, anyone have any experience with them? Legroom behind me will still be ok because I'm short and have to have the seat pretty far forward to push the clutch all the way in. :neutral2:

Back