Whats your internet speed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bentomo

Frequent Poster
I was wondering what kind of net speeds get in different parts of the country (and other countries, ie bacteria) and for what price. Mostly just wondering.

Service provider
price
download speed
upload speed

Mine:
Midcontinent communications
$40 a month
1.5MB per second
128KB per second

ISP: Comcast
I Pay For: 12Mbit/3Mbit (U/D)
I Get: 400Kbit - 50Mbit/50Kbit - 10Mbit (U/D)

Comcast is kind enough to use neighborhood shared speeds.
I get anywhere from a tiny fraction of what I should, to many times.
The fastest I've ever tested, ~50Mbit down.

My average down speed is around 5Mbit Down, and about 1Mbit Up

As for the price?
Far too much for the quality of service.

Paying for 15Mbit down, .5mbit up (it sucks!)
Getting ~8-10Mbit down, .45mbit up (it sucks more!)

Time warner cable doesn't understand that without upload, enough requests for download can not be made quick enough!

Right now, 786kbps download, 325kbps upload. Verizon DSL ftl. Only $17.99 a month, though!

The good news is, at the end of the month, we are upgrading to Verizon Fiber Optic Service. $79.99 a month for 15mbps down, 5mbps up, and it actually stays at that speed, based on what I have seen at neighbors. Also comes with nice phone plan and over 300 channels of TV. Free DVR, too, woopie. :wtf:

I am totally excited about it, though.

finally upgraded to a decent speed,
provider: velocity net and transact
price: $25 but line rental is bundled with transact
speed: 10Mbit down, 500kbit up, and i get the speeds they advertise, so im happy :D
type: cable, but the fibre optic networks are upgrading in aus soon

I have comcast, so I'm on the same boat as jlee. My speed varies, although I don't think I've gotten down speeds as high as jlee (maybe because my plan sucks).

PalmerTech said:
The good news is, at the end of the month, we are upgrading to Verizon Fiber Optic Service.

I wish I had FiOS available in my area, its supposed to be way better than comcast.

bacteria said:
I use AOL (have done for about 8 years), 2Mbit, £9.99 a month ($16.47), 10Gb a month. As I rarely download "stuff" this is no issue. Using phonelines in UK, best you can get is about 4.5Mbit on a good day, so people with 8Mbit packages don't get what they pay for. I find 2Mbit is fine for all I need, YouTube is fluid, etc.

Wait, AOL in the UK? BLASPHEMY!

:lol:

I have Shaw High-Speed. Download speed is supposedly 7.5Mbps and upload is supposedly 512Kbps. I've never had any bandwidth problems but I usually get excessive lag.

Service Provider: Comcast
Price: I think it's like $60/month
Download Speed: 32 Mbps
Upload Speed: 2.6 Mbps

I easily get 2 MB/sec (with a 4 MB/sec burst) on Usenet and Megaupload, I usually get 500 KBps -1 MBps on Torrents. Comcast doesn't like P2P very much so anything that uses it only gets the speed of a torrent. Usenet and Megaupload are fast as Heck though.

I don't care how much they charge because I'm not the one paying for it, and I am certainly not Poor.

Service Provider: Tiscali / Speedtouch (joint)

Download Speed: 1mb/s (fastest recorded)

Upload Speed: 700kb/s

Paying: alot to say the least...

I'm pretty sure upload speed is why it costs a lot more. I was looking at services around and I chose midcontinent because they had 15Mb down and 1Mb up. Another one was $30 more but was 5Mb down and 5Mb up. Even though it doesn't cost companies much after equipment fees to provide internet.

Just tested my connection on speedtest.net. Got 5.82 Mb/s download, 0.48 Mb/s upload, 89ms ping. Not bad, download was okay, but ping was a touch high and upload positively sucked.

It must be bad if it took you 2 1/2 years to download this page.

EDIT: I was replying to a bump post. I didn't bump this!

ProgMetalMan said:
It must be bad if it took you 2 1/2 years to download this page.

EDIT: I was replying to a bump post. I didn't bump this!
How about you stop trying to correct everyone. Using your previous post as evidence, it makes you look stupid.
In case you can't comprehend what I'm implying, I'm saying you should stop correcting everyone.

Dang! And I'm stuck here on sub-3Mb/sec...

EDIT: Just upgraded to 12 Mb/sec, So now I get a little under 8. *Can'tSayThisOnTV* yeah :awesome: !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back