Unnamed GCp

This is my first portable. I never got around to doing a log, so some of the portable is already done, I'll just detail it. I've been lurking the forums for a few months and decide that if I don't start a log now, it will never get done.

Stuff and parts

• ZN-40 (with frankencased original controller)
    DOL-CPU-11 Mobo (Medium/Max cut)
    Zenloc Regulators
    5" Ebay screen or PSone screen (If ebay screen, whats the best amp to use?)
    Tons of electrical tape
    128MB GC memory card
    Original and knock-off controllers
    Old PCI card heatsinks/fan
    More tape
    2x 3.7v 5000mAh LiPos (so about 3hr battery life)

Planned features

• Breakout for A/V and all 4 controller ports, reset switch (Usable as home console)
    Full rumble
    100% functional original analog shoulders (no tact mod here)
    Original GC power port for Play and Charge
    2 SD slots, one for WiiKey, one for Memory Slot 2 (homebrew)
    Support for 2nd memory card via adapter in 2nd slot
    Full Sense support via SD slots with card detection :p

List of things sacrificed in the name of portabilization (things I fried/broke)

• DOL-CPU-10 mobo
    DS lite speaker
    Original power regulator
    A PTH08080 regulator (free samples ftw)
    A PTR08060 regulator (see above)
    Various resistors

Progress after Monday, 1/13 Eastern Standard Time (or 13/1 for you brit weirdos) will be slow, if any, thanks to school.

**All wires now are soldered and taped up, and gpu/cpu wires are larger gauge**

• Hooked up Zenloc's Regulator straight to the GPU and CPU.
    Trimmed the motherboard of all power, serial, parallel, digital, and memory slot A sections. (Leaving Mem slot B, analog A/V out, front panel connector, and disc drive, which i promplty tore off)
    Attached the power source to the D1 diode to fix audio.
    Attached Bios battery to proper test point and ground.
    Attached reset line to proper test point. (this will go to breakout later)
    Attached P1 Data line to proper *insertwhateverthoseFILthingsare* (this will go to internal controller and breakout)
    Attached P2 Data line to proper *insertwhateverthoseFILthingsare* (this will go to breakout)

This covers all progress to 1/4/2014. Anything afterwards goes below and will be dated properly.

Any suggestions, comments, criticisms etc. are welcome unless it's hateful or unwarranted. (I can't stop you though)

EDIT 1/15/2014: Added 1 planned feature to list

EDIT 2/6/2014: MAJOR PROGRESS
Attached PCI fans to voltage line from power source
Screen came in, slimmed and hooked up
WASP Fusion came in with Newhaven FFC breakout, wired and loading ROMs from SD
Re-crimped 1.9v line (old crimp was sketchy, move it wrong and GC cuts off)
10 hrs of stress testing, it's about %90 reliable
Wired internal 128mb mem card
SDGecko slot %50 wired, using cpu vias

I would suggest a custom built audio amp from RDC, a user on benheck forums. I think they're priced at $35 including shipping. And you may be better off with a 5" screen from eBay because they're cheaper, slimmer, and draw less power. They generally look pretty good, too.

I'm going to do something like this Zack's (pic here, thread here) but frankencase a GC controller to the front and back for the buttons, sticks and shoulder buttons, instead of just cutting them flat into the case.

I'm bothering with the full range shoulders and original controller pieces because the way the original GC controller feels is far better than a flat, no curves surface with holes in it. (IMO)

Also, instead of not trimming mine, like Zack did, I'm trying to make space for the batteries I have picked out, because lugging around an AC adapter or an external pack just doesn't appeal to me.

I'll probably end up grabbing a cheap iPod amp at the pharmacy or something, although I'm building a TPA60214A amp for my phone.

EDIT: I went ahead and grabbed this guy here, its perfect for what i need and looks similar to a 7" inch I have, so modding it will be even easier. It should be in by the end of this week.

That's what I paid for my screen but 25AUD... I'm using an amp from ebay.. they are about $1.50 free post. Micro Class D 2x3w and you can hook them up to laptop speakers.

If you search HP laptop speakers, asus laptop speakers, toshiba, Dell etc you can get them really cheap 2nd hand and they're tiny.

Hey Livewire,

It seems we are starting our Portable GameCubes around the same time. Good look to us both, right?
I have a DOL-CPU-11 as well and I am getting read for a Max Trim. I have the Dremel and I will be doing this tonight.
I also got a hold of a 7" LED Back lit screen which uses a shocking small amount of power.

I have yet to plan for the Sound, and such. My biggest issue has been locating a seller of any good modchips.
WODE/Wiikey Fusion. I was wondering where you got your WODE at and how well does it work, if you've tried it out.

Back