Two questions that I need answers for

Crazy Inventor

My two questions have probably probably been asked lots of times here and Modretro but I can't find them.

1. How do you setup an A/V out port for a gamecube portable? Do you use a simple switch for internal and external A/V?

2. I'm using a SPST switch (one with two prongs) for the lid sensor and kasar's guide just says to use a switch but doesn't specify what kind. I'm using a SPST because looking at the switch's bottom the middle prong on the plug isn't soldered to a trace and only two contacts on the switch are connected to the plug.
I couldn't find a picture of the bottom of it so I made a cheap knock-off of what it looks like. Excuse the horrible artisticness of the picture I'm not good with paint. Here

EDIT: If you find a picture please post it.

viddiagram2iv4.png

1.Ground, composite,R and L audio goes to your screen. If your using a PSONE screen you have to wire up 5V as well.
2.You have to use a normally closed switch. http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2062540&CAWELAID=107596653 That should work. Not sure tho.

for the first one in the trimming guide there are pinouts of a chip you can find on the motherboard that outputs audio and video just solder them to the corresponding points on the port. but if you dont trim and the port is still on there you can either just solder to the same pin video comes out of or to the point on that chip in the trimming guide.
trimming guide: viewtopic.php?f=36&t=6476
and for the second question you can use any switch, just when you want the disk to be turning just make sure it is on and when you dont want it to turn turn off the switch. a lot of people just solder the wires together because they will always be on.

That chip is only for when you do a OMGWTFCUT. It bypasses a bunch of components such as the audio amp and such. Even if you trim it you still shouldn't wire it up to that chip.

Crazy Inventor said:
How do you setup an A/V out port for a gamecube portable? Do you use a simple switch for internal and external A/V?

He's not asking "how do you get video from the game cube motherboard," he's asking how to set up an AV out port. Read the question before writing a thoughtless answer.

Crazy Inventor, there are two ways you can do it:

1. Wire composite to the internal screen and to the AV out port and put a switch controlling power to the screen so that if you want AV out, you can turn the internal screen off.

2. I suppose you could put a SPDT switch with one lead going to the screen and the other going to the AV out port, but it would be a waste of power, as your screen would still be on.

I suggest going with suggestion #1.

Good luck,
SQ

nukear said:
You have to use a normally closed switch.That should work. Not sure tho.

Sorry for the double post, but no nukear, you can't have a normally closed switch.

If you are using the disk drive, you have to have some sort of DMTT (double momentary twice thrown) switch connected to the DD mobo. I'm not sure what the switch is called exactly, ask master Ashen.

SonyQrio said:
1. Wire composite to the internal screen and to the AV out port and put a switch controlling power to the screen so that if you want AV out, you can turn the internal screen off.

Without getting overly complicated. This is the easiest way.

2. For this part, you are all kind of right and kind of wrong.

The GC's lid switch is just a passthru. It takes a signal coming from the DD and sends it to the motherboard. When the lid is opened it breaks this signal.

Soooo.. You cannot use a SPST switch UNLESS it is normally closed. SPDT switches can be wired either way, normally closed OR normally open. For the sake of not arguing technicality's here, I'm going to recommend a SPDT "flip" switch.

So not to be confused here, we're still talking about a sliding switch and not a momentary switch like a tactile switch? But either way thanks, I plan on wiring the switch today.

Ashen's saying to use a SPDT flip switch. They're really common and look like this:

TOGGLE%20SWITCH%20TO61-1385.jpg

You can get them in many different formats, but that is the easiest to find. I think RatShack might have them.

Actullay I managed to wire a SPST sliding switch to replace it. If you want i'll post a picture of what it looks like.

Back