Thinking about something big..

RevRon

I know it's the total opposite of a portable but...... I'm thinking about building an N64 arcade cabinet. Im not sure if I am going to use an actual N64 mobo or just use a PC and an emulator with an adaptoid so i can still use an N64 controller. My woodworking skills far surpass my electronics skills so I don't think this should be much of a challenge. I can get all of the flashy vinyl stickers with art on them from the print shop at my university. What do you guys think? I think it would look great in my bar.

It's not that hard. However be aware that the controls will probably only be good for fighting games. I would add a switch and controller ports so you can use normal controllers as well.

The PC option will allow you to use MAME and other emulators as well- more versatile but less authentic than real hardware. Your choice. A real arcade monitor is way better than a TV but they are difficult to find and expensive, and a TV looks fine with most games anyway.

Controls are kinda easy, kinda hard. If you do it the N64 way you have to sacrifice a controller for each player. Then you wire up the buttons to new, arcade style pushbuttons. The d-pad can go to an arcade joystick, but I have no idea how to do the analog. If you use a PC you have a few more options. You can hack a controller (or 2) the same way. You can buy an interface (see links section), or you can hack a keyboard. Hacking a controller can be hard and unreliable but it's cheap. An interface is expensive but easy to use. Hacking a keyboard has lots of problems and I don't recommend it.

LINKS:
http://www.hagstromelectronics.com/
http://arcadecontrols.com/arcade.htm
http://www.happcontrols.com/

well, the hardest part will be finding the controls, probably.
if it happens, it will be epic!

and heres me thinking this thread is about SS's ego! :awesome:

I was going to make one, but it's really a lost cause. No point in doing it because you get the same thing when you plug a n64 into a tv.

As for the monitor, I'm gonna use a High-Def LCD Flatscreen. For the system itself, I'm probably going to use a PC so I can have the option of playing games for SNES, NES, Genesis, PSX, GBA, GB, PS2, N64, Etc... . As far as controller go, I'm going to use an arcade controller but am also going to have four genuine controllers attached via adaptoid converters. If I can find a flash cart for the N64 I will make my first game cabinet strictly N64 using original hardware. Does anyone know where I might find one?

RevRon said:
As for the monitor, I'm gonna use a High-Def LCD Flatscreen.
That's not very arcade-authentic, but whatever. The monitor doesn't matter that much.
RevRon said:
For the system itself, I'm probably going to use a PC so I can have the option of playing games for SNES, NES, Genesis, PSX, GBA, GB, PS2, N64, Etc... .
Yep, a PC is really versatile, remember you can play PC games too!
RevRon said:
As far as controller go, I'm going to use an arcade controller but am also going to have four genuine controllers attached via adaptoid converters.
I don't think you can get adaptoids anymore, but there are less-capable substitutes availible. The N64 controller isn't very universal, but it doesn't really matter since you seem to be using it primarily to emulate N64.
RevRon said:
If I can find a flash cart for the N64 I will make my first game cabinet strictly N64 using original hardware. Does anyone know where I might find one?
There are no flashcarts for the N64. There are devkits which serve a similar purpose but they are big, hard to find, expensive, and sometimes not very compatible.

Just bought four adaptoids on eBay. $12.00USD a piece. Getting excited!!

EDIT: I keep calling them adaptoids but they aren't really. They are a different brand. Just a force of habit making me call them adaptoids.

RevRon said:
As for the monitor, I'm gonna use a High-Def LCD Flatscreen. For the system itself, I'm probably going to use a PC so I can have the option of playing games for SNES, NES, Genesis, PSX, GBA, GB, PS2, N64, Etc... . As far as controller go, I'm going to use an arcade controller but am also going to have four genuine controllers attached via adaptoid converters.
I like the use of arcade controllers (please use quality buttons and joysticks rather than those supposed "arcade" controllers that don't have the real arcade feel to them.

anyways, when it comes to controllers, I was thinking perhaps you could have a pull-out drawer, or maybe a different drawer for each system's controller or something that you put them into that can hold a bunch of different controllers. maybe 4 n64 controllers, 5 snes, 2 nes... I dunno, just a thought.

A pull out drawer for a keyboard an mouse is almost essential, for doing maintenance, starting emulators, etc. Although you could just plug them in, but you'd have no surface to put them on. A drawer is a good way to store controllers as well. Beware of off-brand adaptoids, many are a lot less capable. Most lack controller pak support. Some don't even support rumble!

Also, yes, use good arcade controls. Some people like Happ and some swear by Seimitsu.

XCVG said:
A pull out drawer for a keyboard an mouse is almost essential, for doing maintenance, starting emulators, etc. Although you could just plug them in, but you'd have no surface to put them on. A drawer is a good way to store controllers as well. Beware of off-brand adaptoids, many are a lot less capable. Most lack controller pak support. Some don't even support rumble!

Also, yes, use good arcade controls. Some people like Happ and some swear by Seimitsu.
If you build a proper front-end, a mouse and keyboard will not really be necessary. I've been considering building a PC for the purpose of emulation, first thing I'd do is build a front-end to run on top of Linux that loads up on boot.

grossaffe said:
XCVG said:

If you build a proper front-end, a mouse and keyboard will not really be necessary. I've been considering building a PC for the purpose of emulation, first thing I'd do is build a front-end to run on top of Linux that loads up on boot.

Yeah, not everyone is 1337 like that. Making a front-end may be easy for you, but it's downright impossible for many others.

XCVG said:
grossaffe said:
XCVG said:

Yeah, not everyone is 1337 like that. Making a front-end may be easy for you, but it's downright impossible for many others.
I actually haven't done it, but I figure it can't be too hard. At the very least, you could probably get a make-shift front end just using a folder with all your game files, or even just scripts for each game you have that loads the game in the proper emulator.

Got two Wico 4 or 6-way joysticks, 6 red buttons, 6 white buttons, and 6 blue buttons. All for one heck of a price too considering it's all new. :D

EDIT: Just found out that my joysticks are NOS from the 80's!!! That makes them even cooler in my opinion. You cant get much closer to being authentic hardware than actually coming from the era of arcade machines.

Back