The upgraded nes

Drakon

I already posted this in the nes section but I guess I'll repost here.

Current specs on my improved system:

Outputs clean rgb, s-video, composite video from the multi av jack on the back (uses ntsc snes av cables)

Has an audio circuit that increases the bass and creates pseudo stereo sound. Also properly mixes in the audio from japanese games that have advanced audio chips.

Has a chip swapped that makes the powerpak run on the system. Has the nes to famicom adapter modded to included the extended audio from the powerpak mixed into the system audio circuit. Nes to famicom adapter is modded to support 100% of nes games.

System is a top loader and is region free

internal pics:

avfamicomversion2pcbbottomwiring.jpg

avfamicomversion2pcbtopwiring.jpg

all put back together:

puttogether.jpg

Some demo videos

Information on how I built this can be found here:

http://forums.modretro.com/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=7462&start=10

The video output looks beautiful, and the audio has a definite difference. I may do the same to my own older style nes, as well as a few other mods.

zeturi said:
The video output looks beautiful, and the audio has a definite difference. I may do the same to my own older style nes, as well as a few other mods.

Thanks a lot! I did these mods on a nes first but the video output had jailbar interference that was really annoying. The av famicom has an improved pcb which cleans up jailbar interference. That's why my second mod was done on the av famicom.

Here's what jailbar interference can look like:

hpim0927.jpg

I got my rgb nes to look better than this picture but no matter how good I got it the rgb av famicom always looked 10x better.

bentomo said:
The music just sounds amazing! Nice job I like it.

thanks a lot! Here's some pics of how the system looks on a flat screen.

Through a xrgb 3:

withxrgb.jpg

straight into the tv:

withoutxrgb.jpg

Wow, that is incredibly awesome. I also wasn't aware they made a sequel to D-Pad Hero, I'll have to check that out. And the vs. Excitebike game has some awesome music :D

J.D said:
Wow, that is incredibly awesome. I also wasn't aware they made a sequel to D-Pad Hero, I'll have to check that out. And the vs. Excitebike game has some awesome music :D

Yeah it's pretty cool being able to play lots of hidden gems that were released on cheap media that only came out in japan. I found another game that's not rgb compatible...qix. Oh well... A few games are buggy on the powerpak but none of the buggy games were really that great. And yeah d-pad hero 1 has a terrible system d-pad hero 2 is much better. Although clearing expert has way too many challenges for me to bother getting through.

I'm glad people here are embracing these mods. When I posted my first rgb nes here all I got were insults and being accused of soldering wires to a rare rgb ppu chip even though in the pictures you could see that the ppu was sitting in a socket. I was even told that using lots of hot glue was going to cause a short circuit in my system....

.....it has yet to short circuit

Anyway enough anger posts. Here's a screenshot from a different client who I did a commission for:

smbrgb.jpg

Back