The revival of an aperture science portable (+questions)

aperture

Newb
Greetings everyone, glad to be here on modretro and all of that.

I was a user way back in ben heck forums with constructing a portable n64. However, like all good things, there's always the shortage of money. So, sadly, my ambitious project was scrapped. I had a n64 board with no cart slot, a n64 3rd party controller taken apart, and a gamecube joystick. Once I had this sweet screen, but I'm sorry to say it's no longer with me. :cry4:

BUT. A miracle showed up. A friend had SOME video player she didn't need anymore. How damaged was it?
Video? Working
Audio? Functioning
Battery Pack? Just dandy
CD-PLAYERZ - BROKEN OH NOES

And with that, I was given the whole thing. For free. Bang.

So, dear community, I took that baby apart and looked into exactly WHAT I had gotten myself for free. I present to you the new revival of aperture's portable n64. Maybe. I'm terrible at case construction, so that's gonna be another challenge. :oops:

FIRST, the battery pack. It comes separate with the actual portable dvd player. Here's a shot.

Image10042011105719.jpg

From the looks of it, I'd say run off...2 hours? Yes? No? And is 7.4 good for the n64? :sweat: I HOPE!

Next up is a look inside of this black beast of a case. Fun observation: unscrewing it was interesting, because as I'm undoing it, the insides are literally PUSHING to get out. They really squeezed those battery packs in there.

Image10042011110432.jpg

*side note* See that white stuff by the coil? It's kinda nasty, pieces come off, and I don't think it's good at all. Any ideas what that could be? */end sidenote*

Onwards and so on. Next up is how it all comes out in power.

Image10042011110514.jpg

Here's what power comes out as. Lotsa cables. :( Any idea what they could represent? Need LOTS OF HELP on this one, especially with wiring. Image is blury, but has a total of 6 wires coming out.

Here's what the final plug looks like

Image10042011114155.jpg

And also the female part on the screen

Image10042011113814.jpg

WHEW! So much. *-* And I haven't even hit the screen yet.

Speaking of which, this might be an issue. The screen's nice, and it's working, so don't get me wrong and all that I don't LIKE it or anything. But these jacks.

Image10042011113753.jpg

:( Headphone, volume, a DC (for when you don't have the battery pack), but then two big issues.

It has AV in/out. What do those mean exactly? Anybody care to shed light on this?

And then, of course, audio and video. Now, they also came with cords. Audio and video on one end, and male RGY cables on the other. But I'm not sure if it's even possible to wire.

Well, with that outta the way, a look on the inside of the screen is in order I guess.
Image06182011093936.jpg

That's not the inside. That's just a topic relief. :mrgreen: Thanks for getting this far.

Wb88t.jpg

There it is! A little difficult to see the exact layout, but basically the top is the screen, the right is the broken disc player (which I then removed), and the right is the nonsensical audio/video ports and plugs. Again, not sure if hooking up audio/video input is possible. That little yellow thing on the right is the video plug by the way.

Okay, that about wraps it up. Glad to be back in the community. Hopefully this time I can finish making what I'm starting. :gonk: Let's hope.

My two questions (if you're the type of person who just skimmed EVERYTHING)

Will those batteries be okay, and how would you wire them?
Will the screen be usable to hook into, or should I be looking for another?

*bonus question*
Where are my pants?

That is all.

Thanks for reading. I'm doing this all for science you know. ;)

Those batteries are a no go. Google "swollen lithium batteries", they were probably left in a box to discharge for months.

Yeah, I would get those batteries away from you as fast as you can.

Yeah get new ones. To answer your A/V question, there's a switch to switch to and from in and out. And post a pic of the A/V cable so we can what it looks like.

Back