The Real Google Computer

samjc3

#1 Female Member
There is talk that google (you know wich one) is going to release a desktop computer and os, sometime in the rather near future.

talk about exact details is scarce, but the consensus agrees that it wil be a cloud computer. a cloud computer is a computer where the processing is done on a server somewere, and the desktop just connects to it over a high-speed internet connection.

what this means, is that computers can be smalle, quieter, and pack way more punch.

discuss. :awesome:

i agree. i want my data on my computer, not some server somewhere. :wtf: still its neat to see someone doing something to compete with mac and pc. :mrgreen:

And then what happens if the server goes down? You wouldn't even be able to use your computer. Then what happens if google goes out of business? You spent hundreds of dollars on a computer that will no longer work and now you have to spend hundreds more on one that will.

Utter garbage. It has the POTENTIAL to be powerful, but having more users makes it slower and lag makes it almost useless for real time. And I don't want my computing done at google, I like having it right beside me. snowpenguin brings up another important point as well.

Also, there is no program or user base. And the last thing we need is another standard.

Crap.

AfroLH said:
snowpenguin said:
Then what happens if google goes out of business?

Ahahaha, Yeah right.

They don't have to go out of business, only give up on the computer project and shut that section down.

snowpenguin said:
And then what happens if the server goes down? You wouldn't even be able to use your computer. Then what happens if google goes out of business? You spent hundreds of dollars on a computer that will no longer work and now you have to spend hundreds more on one that will.
no. google has something like 8 sets of redundant servers, all in different locations. if something happened that knocked them all out, wether or not your computer worked would be the least of your worries. ;)

Are you aware of Chrome OS? Google is making an operating system for desktops, you know, and that is not at all how it is going to work. ;)

Basically, it uses google docs, gmail, google calendar, and other web based stuff instead of having it on the hard drive, but it WILL have an offline mode that lets you work when you have no internet. "Cloud based" just means you will have some stuff stored on their servers, not actually offloading the computing work.

And, they are not making the hardware. They are contracting major computer makers to do that.

As a side note: At the moment, there is ZERO reason to use "cloud computing". Even a very low power PC can do almost everything just fine, with the exception of MEDIA. However, media is a stupid thing to try and stream in real time from an off-site server. ;) The only practical use of cloud computing would be doing heavy duty physics work, sending the numbers to a mainframe, having them crunched, then sent back.

Basically, you are thinking of Chrome OS, which is already announced, and not what you seem to think it is. :awesome:

PalmerTech said:
Are you aware of Chrome OS? Google is making an operating system for desktops, you know, and that is not at all how it is going to work. ;)

Basically, it uses google docs, gmail, google calendar, and other web based stuff instead of having it on the hard drive, but it WILL have an offline mode that lets you work when you have no internet. "Cloud based" just means you will have some stuff stored on their servers, not actually offloading the computing work.

And, they are not making the hardware. They are contracting major computer makers to do that.

As a side note: At the moment, there is ZERO reason to use "cloud computing". Even a very low power PC can do almost everything just fine, with the exception of MEDIA. However, media is a stupid thing to try and stream in real time from an off-site server. ;) The only practical use of cloud computing would be doing heavy duty physics work, sending the numbers to a mainframe, having them crunched, then sent back.

Basically, you are thinking of Chrome OS, which is already announced, and not what you seem to think it is. :awesome:
remnd me neer to listen to girls who think they are smart again. :gonk:

samjc3 said:
PalmerTech said:

remnd me neer to listen to girls who think they are smart again. :gonk:

I wanna hear the story. :awesome:

PalmerTech said:
remind me never to listen to girls who think they are smart again. :gonk:

I wanna hear the story. :awesome:[/quote]
there isnt really much of a story. i was texting this girl, and she brought it up, because i was complaining about this P.O.S. computer im on (celeron, single core, 1.2ghz, 256meg of ram, 40gighdd, cd-rom only). she told me "all about it, and i came and posted it here. only then did i find outthat she found out from a friend, who found out from a friends myspace blog. women :gonk: :rolleyes:

Back