The new nook

Antome

Forum Blooper
2rm5awo.jpg

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬■
It's more or less the same as the nook color.
It's got a fully fledged android backbone, and
a touch screen, only it uses a smaller, e-ink
display, and less internal flash.

Thoughts? Opinions? Would you prefer to get
this over a nook color? For the most part I
imagine most people would prefer it at least
over the original nook.

I reckon barnes&noble are certainly making
all the right moves with the nook colour
and the nook touch. Perfect, cheap,
tablet esque hardware, without stumping
on quality. Your thoughts?

That looks much better for actual ebook reading, but the Nook Color is much better for using as a cheap tablet.

XCVG said:
That looks much better for actual ebook reading, but the Nook Color is much better for using as a cheap tablet.

Yeah, from what I've read, it seems to be the perfect E-book reader in that it doesn't focus on anything except for books.

Nah, the best e-reader out there is still the newest Kindle for JUST reading books.
It's got the same model e-ink screen, as do most out there, but the Kindle still has a 30 day battery life.

Unless you're going somewhere with no electricity for 2 months, it's never gonna matter.

The battery on my Kindle lasts a week if I don't use it much. It's not that big a deal to recharge it, though. I don't see why anyone would need it to last that long.

Also - Kindle 3 e-reader is best e-reader. :trollface:

AfroLH said:
The new Nook has a 2 month battery life (or is advertised to.)
All e-readers (which are e-ink) have plenty of battery life,
so it's no game changer. But it's always nice to know
you wont have to charge it for like, ages.

This may just be my personal preferences and nitpicking, but I found the infrared touch screen on the Nook 2 to be very imprecise. I like physical buttons better, despite the fact that the Kindle's keyboard is absolute garbage. :p

I enjoyed the original Nook, despite the incredible lag. The touchscreen was better, despite being confined to a much smaller space. I only like the Nook Color because of the potential it has. Out of the box, even with the Froyo update it's still slow as my G1.

So, overall the Kindle 3 edges out the Nook 2.

I still want to buy a Kindle 3. There's a good chance I'll still get one, to replace my crappy ol' netbook. The webkit browser should work fine for connecting me to the forums, which is pretty much all I use my computer for anyway.

You're replacing a netbook with an e-reader?!

Dude, whatever you're smoking, I want some of that!

XCVG said:
You're replacing a netbook with an e-reader?!

This. I have a Kindle 3, and although the browser is Webkit based (a la few formatting issues) it doesn't mean it isn't slow. It's terribly slow. So slow in fact that AT&T doesn't mind handing out no contract free 3G for them.

HAHAHAHA I been smoking TOO MUCH. Maybe my lack of sleep is screwing with my judgement. I should reaaaaallly get some sleep before I make any rash decisions.

Don't get me wrong, 3G and web browsing on the Kindle is great, but its little 500mhz processor is never going to render pages faster than any netbook. :p The Kindle is actually for reading. You know, that thing that they make e-readers for?

Nook will always be from Barnes and Noble and only have bn books. Kindle pretty much wins because its from amazon. Its also very well designed - <3 my kindle.

- mymixed

mymixed said:
Nook will always be from Barnes and Noble and only have bn books. Kindle pretty much wins because its from amazon. Its also very well designed - <3 my kindle.

- mymixed

The new Nook can be hacked to run the Kindle app, and any other e-book app.

So, yeah.

There really isn't a "best", they're both well-designed. But I definitely don't want a touch screen on an e-reader. I don't want fingerprints all over what I'm supposed to be reading.

I like the Kindle because it's thin, light, and does what it's supposed to do very well. The screensaver hack is fun, too. I have about 80 custom screensavers on there. ::3:

AfroLH said:
mymixed said:

- mymixed

The new Nook can be hacked to run the Kindle app, and any other e-book app.

So, yeah.
this.
I mean come on, it runs android :p

Back