The art of video games- smithsonian exhibit

-Arrow->

The American art museum which is part of the Smithsonian will feature an exhibit about video games (March 16, 2012 – September 30, 2012) and you get to vote for the games that get in. There are five categories ranging from the 1970s to 2010 and each is divided by console.
Some of the games include Mass Effect 2, Pacman, super Mario bros., KOTOR, halo 2, and many others

about-
http://www.americanart.si.edu/exhibitions/archive/2012/games/

vote-
http://www.artofvideogames.org/

anything to say?

Some of that was really easy, some was brutal.

Easy: Shadow of the Colossus for ps2 adventure title
Hard: Mass Effect 2 Vs. Oblivion for 360 Adventure title

I was also kinda sad to see some things not present, but in the grand scheme of things I havent played particularly many games, so maybe all those ones Ive never heard of/havent played did deserve to be up there.

pleasantly surprised by a few titles like Eternal Darkness. SNES had to be the hardest system to vote for some games over others.

since DC is only a few miles from my house, I may have to check this out when it comes to town.

No Wind Waker? Seriously? *Can'tSayThisOnTV* them.

Play Wind Waker in 1080p and tell me that flax isn't art.

Diablo II...
Pikmin 2...

gotta break those out.

oh and windwaker is in there, under gamecube>adventure

Mako321 said:
-Arrow-> said:
samjc3 said:
Hard: Mass Effect 2 Vs. Oblivion for 360 Adventure title

you better have picked right
Oblivion? Yep.
202.gif

That guy basically just tried to define art for most of the article, and then spent the rest arguing his point using only one good game. And actually, I quote from Mass Effect and even Call of Duty way more than I do from Shakespeare.

XCVG said:
And actually, I quote from Mass Effect and even Call of Duty way more than I do from Shakespeare.
I must admit, that really kinda is dorky.

J.D said:
XCVG said:
And actually, I quote from Mass Effect and even Call of Duty way more than I do from Shakespeare.
I must admit, that really kinda is dorky.
I certainly do from Mass Effect. Not call of duty. If you think its dorky, then perhaps your understanding is limited. :dah:

Ebert took back what he said, didn't he? Also, the only quotes I've said out loud from CoD is "RAMIREZ, __________________" or "Remember, no _____"

"The more things change, the more they stay the same."
"The only easy day... was yesterday."
And my personal favorite,

"Boundaries shift, new players step in, but power always finds a place to rest its head.

That being said, I generally stay out of the "video games is/isn't art" argument, because it doesn't really matter. I'll play my video games whether they're art or not.

Back