TF2 server- ideas!

J.D

No Stranger To Love
Soon as I find my 64-bit version of Windows Vista and the electrician comes to make moving the modem to my room possible, I will be starting a TF2 server. Don't question me - it will work, and it will support at least 16 people. Seeing as I don't need to pay for the server, it will probably always be up, even if nobody goes on it. No, it won't be slow. No, it won't crash.

That aside, what do you guys want on the server? I already want friendly fire after the round ends, and the Trolololo song to play at the end of each round. What other ideas/what maps do you guys want? I don't want the map rotation to be any more then 10 maps. I'm already planning on adding at least one of the literations of the Pine map (be it CTF, CP, KOTH, etc) and pl_downpour, but all other maps are up to you guys. If you want to be extra awesome, you can try to not choose official maps, but cool fan-made maps.

Me, Palmer, and Twilight_Wolf will be the admins. The server location is in Northwest Oregon.

snowpenguin said:
rickroll ending song

Upward

thunder mountain tl;dp

pl_2fort There's 2 servers dedicated to pl_2fort, and Bibin's 24/7 Payload server has pl_2fort too.

lots of payload Nah
And I'll add the !rtd mod if I am able to do so.

881269215.png
20458989.png

I tested these speeds with a wired connection. Palmer says I should be able to run the server pretty well, so that's good.

I wish I had those kinds of upload speeds. From wifi or wired(I think, I don't remember) I get at most 1Mbps upload and 9 or 10 Mbps. My ping is still better than yours either way, though :dah:
links in a minute.

mako321 said:
I wish I had those kinds of upload speeds. From wifi or wired(I think, I don't remember) I get at most 1Mbps upload and 9 or 10 Mbps. My ping is still better than yours either way, though :dah:
links in a minute.
To be quite honest, you're spamming my thread :p

Okay, useful stuff.
Losers get trololol, while winners of the round get to hear Heavy Breakfast Machine.(go on youtube)

We will have ctf_pine and its koth/arena variations, won't we? D:

Also, I had some soundmod ideas for the server. Nothing big, but kinda fun.

Give me a dl link to pine so I can run around in it with gmod and test it with my friend who is coming over on sunday, so we can "beta test" it.

I would like a link too, so that's two people so you should post it.

Anyway, my internet connection is epic crap. I get a ping of 150 on a good day, 200 on a bad day playing any server. Download speed is okay but I know upload speed is just garbage- not even 1Mbps.

Anyway, you should incorporate part of the rickroll song somewhere- maybe for the losers?

Just acquired my dad's custom PC from like 2004. It can run TF2 on medium settings.

Getting Ethernet in my room sometime in the month of September.

GUESS WHAT THAT MEANS EVERYONE?

Upload bandwidth and CPU power are all that matter to srcds.

Your 3mb upload speed should be more than enough for a good size server, as long as the CPU is up to snuff. Granted human players don't take as much CPU power as the TF2 smart bots do, but you don't want to bottleneck. As long as it's at least a 2 ghz Pentium 4 you should be able to handle 16 live players. (I can run 4 live players and 12 bots on my 3 ghz P4 desktop, but that's pushing it.)

You don't even need ethernet in your bedroom to run a dedicated server. Keep TeamViewer running on it for emergencies, set up srcds with rcon, and it can sit in the corner headless for weeks, only needing attention when TF2 updates.

bic said:

Your 3mb upload speed should be more than enough for a good size server, as long as the CPU is up to snuff.

I think it's 2.2 GHZ

You don't even need ethernet in your bedroom to run a dedicated server. Keep TeamViewer running on it for emergencies, set up srcds with rcon, and it can sit in the corner headless for weeks, only needing attention when TF2 updates.
wat

bic said:

Your 3mb upload speed should be more than enough for a good size server, as long as the CPU is up to snuff. Granted human players don't take as much CPU power as the TF2 smart bots do, but you don't want to bottleneck. As long as it's at least a 2 ghz Pentium 4 you should be able to handle 16 live players. (I can run 4 live players and 12 bots on my 3 ghz P4 desktop, but that's pushing it.)

So...a few times a week?

It's a 5-second job after you have a batch file set up. :awesome:

J.D said:
bic said:

Your 3mb upload speed should be more than enough for a good size server, as long as the CPU is up to snuff.

I think it's 2.2 GHZ

wat

Wait what? When did I, or anybody else in the thread before your post, write "I think it's 2.2 ghz"? :confused:

But if it is 2.2 ghz and not a Celeron/Sempron, you shouldn't have a problem running a 16-slot server as long as you don't try to run too many bots.

Back