SPACE? WHAT IS THIS, I DON'T EVEN

Hermaphroditus

Kay, so. Who's gonna watch the Space Launch tonight?

Or, if you're viewing this after the launch, this can just be a general discussion of SpaceX, privatized space flights, etc.

"On Saturday, May 19th, SpaceX will become the first commercial company in history to attempt to visit the International Space Station. Watch the action live on SpaceX.com beginning at 1:15 AM Pacific / 4:15 AM Eastern / 08:15 UTC."

MV5BMTg0OTc2MDQ3NV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNDUwMjEzMw@@._V1._SY317_.jpg

Didn't it abort because it crossed a very low safety threshold? I thought it did something like that before...

bic said:
Didn't it abort because it crossed a very low safety threshold? I thought it did something like that before...
Over pressure in the compression chamber of engine 5. Purely speculation, but it sounds like a valve or vent didn't fully open.

At least it didn't go into an uncontrolled burn resulting in loss of the vehicle? :awesome:

Yeah, good thing their overpressure system kicked in. It seems they have pretty strict safety protocols so they don't have a major explosion/embarrassment.

I saw a short piece on spaceX on 60 minutes a month or two ago. Almost all of their components are produced in the one complex, so they have a lot of room to make sure everything is safe and working properly. The CEO was also the co founder of paypal.

Antome said:
I saw a short piece on spaceX on 60 minutes a month or two ago. Almost all of their components are produced in the one complex, so they have a lot of room to make sure everything is safe and working properly. The CEO was also the co founder of paypal.
And Tesla Motors.

So in other words, when they are doing true commercial spaceflight, they'll suddenly decide that you need to link you social security number and you cant fly with them until you do. In the meantime, they throw you out the airlock.

That makes it okay then I guess. As far as I know it mainly became flax when eBay got their grimy hands on it.

Back