Should I make a PMP or buy one?

ToastBucket

tost
After Nobbles :awesome: PMP, I thought about making my own. But then I thought about the Archos 5 (Android version) and now I'm having trouble deciding between the two. I added it up, and if I stuck to my original plan for the PMP, it would cost about the same as the Archos 5.

PMP: $260 (for parts)
7" screen
1TB USB HDD
NBox (Media Card)
The 3.7v 4700maH standard batteries

Archos 5: $250 for 8GB, $300 for 16GB
5" screen
8GB or 16GB internal flash storage
Android OS
Not sure what the battery situation is.

Now the Archos 5 is only 8GB, but I have a 500GB USB HDD already that I have all my movies and stuff on, and I think it said on their website that it supported USB HDD's. Obviously the Homemade PMP would have more storage, but it would be larger, heavier, and would lack in interface. The Archos 5 has a great interface (I <3 Android), is very compact, and has internet, GPS, etc. Really the only thing that turns me away from the Archos is the storage space. If it does not accept USB HDD's, I'm most likely not going to get it.

What to choose??

EDIT: I'm also leaning towards an Archos 7 Home Tablet.

ARCHOS SEED PLANTED IN MY HEAD BY HERMAPHRODITUS LAST NIGHT

archos is awesome. their stuff is built all tank-like. however it would be more satisfying to build your own. but you really need to decide what you want. i mean, an archos 5, and your proposed build would be significantly different. what do you want? a media hub for home? a portable media player with more?

I've always salivated over Archos products.

And I see, don't even mention who planted the Archos seed in your head last night! D:

Thar you go, Hermy.

And I'm not really sure, sam. I think I'm gonna make a PMP because it'll have a Terabyte of storage (Heck Yeah!). At first I just wanted to make a PMP so I could watch movies and stuff but then I started looking at the Archos and just wanted it because it was cool. I already have a Droid so I don't really need another Android device. Plus I read a couple reviews and one of them was complaining about the resistive touch screen. (Bleh) Then SS flipped a coin and it said I have to make a PMP. So DIY PMP it is! :p

ps1 screen + movies = Bad.
It's like a crappy portable DVD player.
No offense but not a good screen for the PMP you are making.
Use a higher resolution screen for your PMP.
Wait for the ones Palmer is getting to be put up in the MR store.
Perfect for a Handmade PMP.

Joeyjoe9876 said:
PS1 screens aren't that bad for movies, they just aren't that good either.
Ever watch crank or pokemon on one ?
Well you will get a migraine for the quality.
Plus they have issues with blur sometimes.

I get what you are saying though ;) .

I never said I was using a PS1 screen. I'm using a 7". My three options for screens right now are the one Bo is sending me, the Peak Backup camera one, or the DX one.

As for the media card itself, I was going to go with the NBox, but I really don't like it's interface. I've decided to go with the WD HD TV one. New they're about $100 but I have found multiple on eBay for $50. It's worth it for the superiour interface, and it automatically sorts your movies and music and stuff.

Back