Playstation Vita/PSV discussion

The only reason Nintendo will still come out on top of all this is because is because Nintendo is Nintendo, and has the brand power.

I mean, that's not the only reason, but Just saying.

250 DOLLARS
I MIGHT GET THIS OVER THE 3DS, GOD Dang I WANT UNCHARTED ON THE GO
DECENT LINEUP OF GAMES TOO
Really 3DS, I'm sorry but I just love Uncharted so much.

Great start. It Dang well should have been this cheap after they cut out half the ram and all 16GBs of internal storage. Now actually show us exclusives besides Uncharted that will actually make this worth it, and don't screw us over with 3rd party support like the PSP. Then I'll buy it. Oh, and stop using AT&T for the 3G models too, no one likes them in the first place.

I'm very, very skeptical of this. I'm afraid to buy one, after the PSP happened. I'm worried about battery life, portability (thing looks huge), and how comfortable it is. It also seems pretty gimmicky with the touch screen and rear touch panel-thing. It seems like they will be using for ipod touch style game mechanics, rather than DS ones. Another thing is, I realize that this is more powerful that the 3DS, but the 3DS isn't weak at all; games like Resident Evil Revelations and MGS seem to hold up pretty well in the graphics department, even from a technical aspect. At this point, I'm just afraid to buy the Dang thing; looks neat, but I don't feel like trapping myself in a corner with a poor game library again.

the 3DS seems plenty powerful, although the screen resolutions leave something to be desired. That said, what matters is games, and 3DS has Nintendo's support and we'll likely be getting a good gander at its upcoming library in a few hours including the likes of Super Mario 3DS

After watching ModNation Racers run at what looked like 10fps I really don't have high hopes for this tbh.

It's Sony, it's going to be subject to constant firmware updates, game delays and general poor quality titles to begin with.

Hopefully they'll prove me wrong, they probably won't.

Now I'm torn. This is more powerful and cheaper than the Xperia Play (AKA Playstation Phone) but also much larger and most likely lacking in emulators.

With Kid Icarus, Super Mario 3D, Mario Kart, and Luigi's Mansion 2, as well as 2 resident evils and MGS3, I'm pretty set on the 3DS.

Bush said:
With Kid Icarus, Super Mario 3D, Mario Kart, and Luigi's Mansion 2, as well as 2 resident evils and MGS3, I'm pretty set on the 3DS.

Though I may get one eventually if it's relatively easy to run emulators on it, which I doubt will be the case.

If you want emulators, get a Dingoo or something. These new systems aren't going to be hacked for a good while, and region locking, firmware updates, game blacklists, etc arent going to help. I'm not saying they won't be hacked, but I'm pretty sure it will be a long time before anything worth using comes up.

XCVG said:
Now I'm torn. This is more powerful and cheaper than the Xperia Play (AKA Playstation Phone) but also much larger and most likely lacking in emulators.

The Xperia Play is godawful, seriously.

It's an Android smartphone with gaming controls. What's so awful about it? I tried one and I'm impressed, but when you own a *Can'tSayThisOnTV*ing J706, everything is impressive.

XCVG said:
It's an Android smartphone with gaming controls. What's so awful about it? I tried one and I'm impressed, but when you own a *Can'tSayThisOnTV*ing J706, everything is impressive.

The controls are awful, it lacks analog sticks, it features nothing any cheaper Android phone doesnt except for a 'unified' set of controls, the screen is old and small, etc.

For it's price it's awful, and is cumbersome, too big and thick for use a 'proper' main phone.

Lacking analog sticks isn't really a flaw, it's a design decision. It is kind of large, but still better than carrying a phone and a gaming handheld around. There are definitely smaller and thinner options, I agree. I've heard the screen sucks, but it seemed fine to me when I tried it. I have low standards when it comes to screens, though. You dismiss the controls as useless. No other Android phone offers real, physical controls. That's definitely something, and leagues better than touchscreen controls.

It is highly overpriced, though, and I do agree with you wholeheartedly on that point. I suspect that the flaws would be more easily forgiven if the thing wasn't $550. I would totally buy one for $300 or even $400. The main draw for me is having my phone, media player and gaming handheld in one device. 90% of the time I'm left with only my phone and missing my DS and Fuze. With the Xperia Play or something similar, I could always have my music, videos and even some games and emulators on hand.

I'm poor, though, so I'll probably end up with a Galaxy Player. Still doesn't solve the multiple device issue, though.

Back