OnLive free 1yr

Didn't hear about this until now. :/

Applied anyway, although I still don't like services that make it so I don't own my games, I'm not going to turn down a free year if I get in.

i got in, i actually had gotten into the beta but never replied... haha. but im loving it so far. ive barely ran into any lag issues so far but i havent ran any intense games yet either. im hoping onlive gets pretty big because i would much rather use that type of service than having a system, but then again im also about to get the new 360. so how are you guys enjoying it?

I got in. but i havent bothered with getting it activated. seems like a gimmick anyway. plus i dont like not having my games. at least with steam, i have the files, and i can run them even if steam says i cant. (whee hax)

And if you ever stop paying monthly, your games disappear.

I like it for what it is... But it works well for me, having a fiber optic internet connection and all. TBH, I want OnLive to fail, and fail hard. Otherwise, it could actually be seen as a viable distribution model, one that leads to not only the ULTIMATE in DRM, but also brings the fall of "hardcore" gaming, as anything you play needs to tolerate the 100ms-200ms lag. Not usable for competitive FPS games, or Street Fighter, or good platformers.

Ulitmate DRM. like SuckuROM taken to the next level. yikes.

in addition to the ownership issues and lag, it ruins one of the best aspects of PC gaming. Mods. Mods are the biggest reason i got into PC gaming. and this makes them useless. though you could have some fun if you modified the datastream. its even possible you could infect their servers by injecting a virus into the data packets that you send back.

It's not availible in Canada anyway.

Anyway, I say it's stupid. If your internet connection is anything like mine, a similar experience could be had by watching a YouTube gamplay video and slamming your fist on the keyboard. I lag playing Counter-Strike, just imagine what HD video will be like.

I'm willing to go with digital distribution such as Steam, which I actually like and even trust, but I'm not willing to go as far as OnLive. I paid for a quad core, damnit, and none of my encoders are multithreaded! Also, yeah, I want control of my game. Steam gives you that, actually. Just look at my massive gmod addons folder. I've got to clean it one of these days...

Thankfully, I don't think it will catch on. But I'm worried about the future of gaming. There's the whole motion control craze right now. It's *Can'tSayThisOnTV*ing stupid if you ask me. If I want to get up, get some exercise and/or act like an idiot I don't need a really expensive peripheral to do that. I do see some games it would be good for, but not the kind I play. Thankfully it hasn't made it to the PC world yet. In twenty years, I'll be the guy running six different programs to remap controls to my mouse and keyboard.

Rant aside, I want to know how well the service works.

XCVG said:
Counter-Strike, just imagine what HD video will be like.

Generally, HD video is far less intensive than actual games. That is the whole point. :p

dood, this will never go big unless everyone has really good tubes.

And there's still people running dsl!

D:

snowpenguin said:
dood, this will never go big unless everyone has really good tubes.

And there's still people running dsl!

D:

Unrelated to the topic at hand, but snow, don't use "dood". I know you want to be like this other penguin, but no.

PalmerTech said:
XCVG said:
Counter-Strike, just imagine what HD video will be like.

Generally, HD video is far less intensive than actual games. That is the whole point. :p

Less intensive on your PC, not so much on your internet connection. I usually have a latency/ping/lag/whatever it's called of about 150-200. Some games work pretty well anyway, some don't, but there's no way I could use OnLive without serious lag (the lag would double- control input goes there, video comes back).

TL:DR? I often have to wait for videos to load, even unpopular ones, but I can play online okay, usually, but get kicked a lot for high ping.

I have a fine cable connection and I'm in canada, I'm signing up and hoping that I get a 1 year free.

Back