NeX's awesome Gameboy mods

nitro2k01

This guy knows how to cram stuff into a Gameboy! (These are not my mods, but I'm pretty much licensed to tell the word about them.)

Main page: http://nex.gg8.se/modblog/

Assorted mods (click for more info and pics about that mod!)

Taking it to the NeX level (RGB backlight)

Ultimate midi gameboy

Totally kitted out Gameboy SP

Modular Gameboy

Home-made Gameboy

SNES Boy

And there's plenty more on the blog page!

NeX has done all of 1 mod that really impressed me...

Jamming stuff into cases is about "all" he does, that and following diagrams.

He has done, I really think only 1 mod that impressed me, and it wasn't for it's difficulty, it was for it's functionality and completeness.
He added USB Support to a Gameboy Camera. (Not really, but, that's the easy way to say it)
Hard? A bit. Complicated? Heck no. It's a pretty straight-forward thing to do, most especially the way he did it.
But that doesn't make it any less impressive, in this case.

jleemero: Another easy way is to say he turned it into a USB flash cartridge. ;)
The complication there was to trace the pinout for the ROM chip+a few other little complications.
I think you'd also have to admit that the "NeX level" mod (top of the original post) has "functionality and completeness". That's when cramming really becomes an art. There's literally no free space left. He had a hard time finding a place for the capacitors for the headphone jack. He also wrote the code to control the backlight and case LEDs. Not that it's super-advanced code, but he did.

jleemero said:
nitro2k01 said:
jleemero: Another easy way is to say he turned it into a USB flash cartridge. ;)
You need to understand that I would not expect a lot of this userbase to understand just what that means.

Hence:
jleemero said:
USB Support
People here dont know/can't figure out what USB flash cartridge means? I may have overestimated this place... :confused:
(The reason thought that was more appropriate than just "added USB support" is that people might be read to think that you can use it as a webcam or something.)

nitro2k01 said:
jleemero said:
nitro2k01 said:
You need to understand that I would not expect a lot of this userbase to understand just what that means.

Hence:
jleemero said:
USB Support
People here dont know/can't figure out what USB flash cartridge means? I may have overestimated this place... :confused:
(The reason thought that was more appropriate than just "added USB support" is that people might be read to think that you can use it as a webcam or something.)
We have a highly varied userbase.
ModRetro focuses heavily on education.
We have a fair handful of highly experienced users, many of which are staff members.
However, a huge part of our userbase is made up of young or inexperienced people, who may have virtually no concept of electronics or modding beyond the pretty pictures of flashing LEDs they see online.
It's worked out fantastically for us so far, seeing users who asked such simple questions as "What is an LED?" end up producing genuinely unique or impressive works.

Back