New Starfox Overclocked

Drakon

Me and doug stumbled across a way to increase the speed on my gsu 2 starfox 1 from 28.3 mhz to 40 mhz. Enjoy!

ShockSlayer said:
That's a pretty noticeable improvement, looks pretty awesome to me!

SS

Thanks ShockSlayer! I have a gsu 2 cart that has a maskrom from a regular starfox cart and that cartridge glitches / freezes when I overclock it past 28.3 mhz. So I'm assuming that the rom dump we used for this recent batch of carts is what allows the game to run perfectly at 40 mhz. All other superfx games I overclocked would glitch and freeze once I cleared a certain speed, including starfox 2 which also uses the same type of eprom as the ultra starfox 1 carts we built. I'm assuming that something about the rom we burned is the reason why these carts have no speed limit. Now if only we could figure out how to patch the other games to work the same way..

I think that this starfox 1 cart could go even faster than 40 mhz but the speed increase makes the game more challenging and it feels like if I increased it even more the game would become too difficult. The gsu 2 doesn't even get warm having it run at this speed.

Now you're just showing off :p

I love the overclocked starfox. It looks so much more exciting when it's running faster

bud said:
Now you're just showing off :p

I love the overclocked starfox. It looks so much more exciting when it's running faster

Yeah well when I first started posting videos of my overclocked starfox people were like "I don't see the difference" so I like to make things like this to make it really obvious. It looks handycapped when it runs at default speed.

Back