New here, just some questions about making a portable?

I'm looking to make an NES portable out of my current NES.

What I want to do is make the portable look like a gameboy, but I'm not sure how to approach this design. I don't know what materials to get to form the case. I'm guessing the case would have to be big as well since the NES's mobo is huge.

Regarding region locking as well, I can enable the ability to play PAL games on my NTSC console by just destroying some 4th pin on a chip right (forgot which one)? Then playing japanese games is just a matter of putting in a 60-72 pin converter in the cart slot (or 72-60, I forgot). I want this handheld to play every possible nes game in every region.

I think I have an idea of how to work with the insides of the NES from watching so many vids, the only thing that intimidates me is the case making. I'm just not sure how to go about achieving a gameboyish like case. I want the game to not be visible while mounted on the cartridge slot when using this handheld except for when the I'm looking at it from the top. Oh I guess there's also soldering that intimidates me but I'll try to read up on that too.

Thanks!

tl;dr I want to make a gameboyish case (massive I'm guessing to fit an nes mobo) but I'm not sure how to do it in regards to collecting materials and reforming them in the shape I want. I want the NES cart to only be visible from the top when mounted.

Well, you could make it way smaller and use a NES clone, like the retro entertainment system. But I'm not sure if that'd play PAL games.

superben51 said:
Well, you could make it way smaller and use a NES clone, like the retro entertainment system. But I'm not sure if that'd play PAL games.

I read that the NES Clones can't even play battletoads. I don't think I'd feel good knowing my portable is incapable of playing x amount of games.

Back